Chicken in Creamy Mushroom White Wine Sauce
Easy Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Wine Sauce
When the weather is cold like it’s been lately, this chicken in mushroom white wine cream sauce recipe satisfies our appetites for something hearty. For this creamed chicken recipe, you can use either chicken thighs or chicken breasts. But if you’re wanting to use chicken breasts, you should have the skins on the breasts so you can sear the outside for a crust and more flavor. You can also use bone-in chicken breasts for more flavor, but you’ll probably want to de-bone it before serving.
Video: Creamed Chicken White Wine Mushroom Sauce
This chicken is braised in with wonderful bouquet of fresh herbs, shallots or onions, white wine and lots of sliced mushrooms. Our popular creamy chicken recipe is perfect for serving over your favorite pasta or even rice. The fragrant and bright flavor of the fresh herbs combined with the white wine really heightens this dish to perfection. This cream chicken is a simple and comforting dish for every day or can be made into an elegant dish for a special dinner. You you want a non-wine version, here’s our creamy garlic skillet chicken with mushrooms recipe.
How to Cook This Easy Chicken Recipe
- Heat butter and sear both sides of chicken.
- Remove chicken from pan and cook garlic and mushrooms until mushrooms are caramelized.
- Add cream and chicken back to the pan. Add herbs.
- Print out the rest of recipe details below in the recipe box.
Here’s more great chicken recipes.
Cream Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Cream Sauce
- 2 pounds Chicken Thighs, Drumsticks or Breasts (bone in, skin on *see head note)
- 3 Tablespoons Butter , divided
- 1/2 onion , diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 8 oz. Brown Mushrooms , sliced
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 cup Cream
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- Salt , to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper , to taste
- 3-4 sprigs fresh herbs (Thyme, Oregano) , or 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper , or more to taste
- Pat dry chicken. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown each side of chicken, about 3-4 minutes each side. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining Tablespoon of butter then add onions & garlic. Cook for about 1 minute or until softened and then add the mushrooms. Increase heat to medium-high and sauté until onions, garlic and mushrooms until all become soft and caramelized, about 3-5 minutes.
- Whisk the flour into the cream. Then add the cream/flour mixture, wine and chicken stock into the pan with the mushrooms & onion. Give it a good stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it.
- Return chicken to the pan. Add the herbs, bay leaf, salt and pepper. After the liquids reach a simmer, reduce heat & continue to cook on a low simmer for another 12-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, flipping the chicken halfway through.
- Taste sauce for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with mushroom cream sauce ladled over chicken.