Air Fryer Sausage Stuffing
Our air fryer stuffing recipe is going to be a game changer, especially when you have limited oven space. This awesome countertop oven air fryer is perfect for making this air fryer sausage stuffing recipe. Whether you’re cooking for 4 or 8 servings, there’s different air fryers that can cook for these amounts. Using store bought boxed stuffings makes this air fryer sausage stuffing recipe so much easier.
Various Brands of Store Bought Boxed Stuffing: Mrs. Cubbisons, Stove Top, Pepperidge Farm & More
Buying store bought prepared stuffing bread cubes makes this recipe super easy. There’s so many brands of stuffing in a box and they all cook well in the air fryer.
Each brand varies a bit by size of the bread cubes or texture. Some textures are cubed, while others are more crushed or tumbles of bread. Other than that, they are all have very similar cooking times. Here’s a list of the best boxed store bought stuffing reviews.
Alternative Breads for Stuffing vs. Buying Boxed Stuffing
Don’t want to use boxed store bought stuffing? No problem, there’s other options for bread stuffing.
- Fresh sliced bread or loaf bread: Cut up day old sliced white bread or loaf bread. Cut the bread into small 1/2″ cubes and bake them in the oven to dry them out. Lay the cut cubes on a sheet pan and bake at 350°F for about 25 minutes OR until they are dry and firm. Stir the homemade bread cubes at least once during cooking time. 4 cups of homemade bread cubes is about equal to 12 oz of stuffing mix.
- Your favorite flavored croutons work too! Bagged croutons are another option. These have extra flavor on them but they can be rather large. You can lightly crush them to make them smaller. This is great if you want a specific flavor that your favorite croutons have. 4 cups of croutons is about equal to 12 oz. of stuffing mix.
- Soft brioche bread or loaves: Brioche is a great option as this type of bread gives a soft, tender crumb.
- Crackers: Coarsely crushed crackers is also another alternative. Crushed crackers gives a drier, more firm stuffing. So you might have to use more liquid (water, broth or stock)
Choosing the right sized vessel for the stuffing in the air fryer
The most important factor to make your batch successful is having the right dish that fits your air fryer and should be more shallow than deep. You don’t want to have something too deep or else the stuffing just burns on top and doesn’t cook all the way through. For casserole baking dishes in oven styler air fryers, handles get in the way. Choose vessels that don’t handles or very small handles. This will allow you to have larger volume baking vessels that will fit in the air fryer.
Perfect Air Fryer Baking Pans
Bucket Pans are great for bucket-type air fryers. The handles make taking it out of the air fryer so much easier.
Great for oven-style air fryers as well as some larger bucket-type air fryers. The minimal handles don’t get in the way like many other pans do.
Elevate with More Fresh Ingredients like Sausage, Veggies
Amp-up your stuffing. Add some extra ingredients to make the stuffing more amazing.
- We like to sautee some onions or shallots
- Raw crumbled sausage like Italian sausage or turkey sausage is great. For a plant based version, used Impossible or Beyond Meat brands of vegan plant based proteins.
- Add more veggies like mushrooms, carrots or chopped kale. Cook these on the stove top first to allow them to soften before air frying.
- How about some shredded parmesan or other cheese on top to melt before serving? We love extra melted cheese on top.
- Adding these extra fresh ingredients really makes the stuffing more delicious and using the boxed bread cubes saves a step to make this recipe so much easier.
Video: How to Make Air Fryer Sausage Stuffing Recipe
How to Make Air Fryer Stuffing with Oven Style Air Fryer
- This recipe is for oven style air fryers or larger. For 6 qt bucket style air fryers, here’s the recipe for a smaller volume.
- As mentioned above, make sure to choose the right dish to fit your air fryer. If you have a small air fryer don’t try to cook the whole batch in one try. You might have to cook the stuffing in several smaller batches.
- Cover the uncooked stuffing with foil for the first half of cooking. This ensures that the stuffing cooks all the way through. Then stir and cook again uncovered to get the crisp topping.
- If you have a big deep baking dish, you might have to stir the stuffing several times to ensure everything is cooked through. Stirring allows the stuffing to cook evenly without burning on the top.
- All air fryer stuffing recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Stuffing Recipe in Bucket Air Fryer or With Air Fryer Drawers
Do you have a smaller bucket style air fryer that’s about 6 qt? When making stuffing for a smaller bucket or drawer style air fryer, you can make this larger recipe in two batches. OR, you can make half a batch if you have a smaller bucket style air fryer. These are also called drawer style air fryers. Click here–> for the smaller portion air fryer stuffing recipe in bucket style air fryers.
Air Fryer Sausage Stuffing
- 12 oz. (340 g) box stuffing mix
- 4 Tablespoons (60 g) butter
- 1 onion , diced
- 2-3 stalks celery , diced
- 1 lb. (454 g) raw sausage
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder , or to taste
- 1-2 Tablespoons (15-30 ml) dried or fresh chopped herbs (parsley, rosemary, oregano, sage, etc) optional
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 2 cups (480 ml) water or chicken/beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) additional melted butter , for brushing
Optional additional stuffing extras:
- Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, cashews, etc), chopped crispy bacon, dried fruit (diced apricot, cranberries, raisins, blueberries, etc)
- Brush melted butter or spray with oil inside of 2 quart or similar sized baking dish that fits your oven air fryer (if your air fryer won’t fit a dish this sized, you can cook in 2 batches in smaller dishes).
- Using a large skillet, heat on medium-high heat. Melt the butter and then add the onions and celery. Allow the onions and celery to cook soft.
- Add sausage and crumble it as it cooks until browned. Add garlic powder, optional herbs, black pepper, salt and water or broth and stir. Allow mixture to come to a low boil.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add stuffing mix and any additional optional extras (nuts, bacon, dried fruit, etc). Mix gently to incorporate the liquid into the dry stuffing mix.
- Put the stuffing mixture into the prepared baking dish into an even layer. Cover with foil.
- Place the stuffing dish on lowest rack of the air fryer. For bucket style air fryers place the stuffing dish in the air fryer.Air Fry at 350°F/175°C for 15 minutes, covered with foil.
- Remove foil, brush with melted butter. Leave the stuffing uncovered in the air fryer.
- Continue to Air Fry uncovered for another 3-7 minutes or until the top is crisp to your liking. Remove from air fryer and serve warm.