Mom’s Sausage Apple Stuffing Recipe
Thanksgiving is about so many delicious things to eat and for many, the meal resolves around a great Thanksgiving stuffing dish. Mom’s homemade sausage apple stuffing recipe is always a favorite because it’s truly delicious.
Easy Thanksgiving Stuffing with Sausage and Apples
Loaded with chunks of sausage, fresh apples and holiday spices, Mom’s stuffing is like a meal in it self. Seriously, we could just eat a bog bowl of this with some gravy on top and call it a meal! Her sausage and apple stuffing recipe is the go-to for the holidays and everyone always asks about it. We especially love that this stuffing has sourdough bread which adds such s great flavor to the sausage and apple mix.
Video of Mom’s Classic Sausage Stuffing Recipe
Mom makes preparing it look effortless because it’s really an easy homemade Thanksgiving stuffing to prepare. It’s especially great if you want to serve a bunch of people. You can totally make this ahead of time and re-heat the next day. This Thanksgiving stuffing recipe is the perfect contribution to the meal when everyone else wants to bring he dessert. Also, if you have vegetarians coming you can omit the sausage. Some ideas would be to add some butternut squash for a veggie version that everyone will still love. And add these amazing melting sweet potatoes to your Holiday menu! Thanks Mom, we love you and your amazing cooking. Hugs!
This recipe was originally published 2017 and re-published in 2018 with a new video! If you made this recipe please share it below in the comment box. Or if you have a photo, please share it on our facebook and Instagram pages. We’d love to see your delicious creations. Thank you so much Friends and Happy cooking!
Mom’s Awesome Sausage & Apple Stuffing
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Olive Oil
- 1 pound (454 g) uncooked Sausage
- 2 Apples , peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 medium Onion , chopped
- 2 stalks Celery , sliced
- 2 Carrots , chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh or dried herbs of choice (rosemary, sage, thyme. etc.)
- 2 cups (480 ml) Chicken Stock or Turkey Stock
- 8 cups (1.9 l) day-old Crusty Bread , sliced, toasted & cut into 1/2” pieces (about a 1 lb. loaf)
- 1/4 cup (15 g) chopped Flat Leaf Parsley (Italian Parsley)
- 2 large eggs beaten (optional)
- Kosher Salt , to taste
- Black Pepper , preferably fresh cracked, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat an extra large skillet (*see head note) over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then add sausage. Break up the sausage into smaller pieces and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the apple, garlic, onion, celery, carrots and the herbs of choice. Cook until onions are softened and sausage in cooked through, about 5 minutes.Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
- Add the chicken stock and then mix in the bread and parsley. Stir until bread is completely coated. Add the beaten eggs (optional) and combine evenly in the bread mixture. Transfer to baking dish if desired (*see head note).
- Cover with foil. Bake for about 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake again for about 10-15 minutes or until top of stuffing is golden. Serve warm.