Thanksgiving is about so many delicious things to eat and for many, the meal resolves around a great Thanksgiving stuffing dish. Mom’s homemade stuffing recipe is always a favorite because it’s truly delicious. Loaded with chunks of sausage, fresh apples and holiday spices, Mom’s stuffing is like a meal in it self. Seriously, we could just eat a bog bowl of this with some gravy on top and call it a meal! Her sausage and apple stuffing recipe is the go-to for the holidays and everyone always asks about it. We especially love that this stuffing has sourdough bread which adds such s great flavor to the sausage and apple mix.
Video of Mom’s Famous Sausage Stuffing
Mom makes preparing it look effortless because it’s really an easy homemade Thanksgiving stuffing to prepare, especially if you want to serve a bunch of people. It’s the perfect contribution to the meal when everyone else wants to bring he dessert. Also, if you have vegetarians coming you can omit the sausage if you want and maybe add some butternut squash for a veggie version that everyone will still love.
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 pound uncooked Sausage
- 2 Apples , peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1 medium Onion , chopped
- 2 stalks Celery , sliced
- 2 Carrots , chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh or dried herbs of choice (rosemary, sage, thyme. etc.)
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or Turkey Stock
- 1 pound day-old Crusty Bread , sliced, toasted & cut into 1/2” pieces (about 10 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped Flat Leaf Parsley (Italian Parsley)
- Kosher Salt , to taste
- Black Pepper , preferably fresh cracked, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet (*see head note) over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and then add sausage. Break up the sausage into smaller pieces and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the apple, garlic, onion, celery, carrots and the 1 teaspoon of herbs of choice. Cook until onions are softened and sausage in cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and then mix in the bread and parsley. Stir until bread is completely coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to baking dish if desired (*see head note).
Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until top stuffing is golden. Serve warm.