Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Our air fryer egg rolls are delicious and it took us a long time to test this recipe. There’s so many factors that need testing to make sure this crispy air fryer spring rolls recipe is yummy. You can use ground chicken, pork or beef and these are healthier than the deep fried egg rolls.
Best Air Fryer Egg Rolls
The air fryer allows you to cook the egg rolls by only brushing them with oil. Making air fried egg rolls is much healthier than the deep fried versions. There’s many possibilities to make these egg rolls to your personal liking. Our egg roll filling is flavorful and awesome. That’s the easy part for making air fried egg rolls recipe.
Video: Chicken Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
Some wrappers don’t air fry well
The hard part of finalizing this recipe was finding the right wrapper that cooked well in the air fryer. Not all egg roll wrappers cook well in the air fryer. Some are dry, tough, chewy and still raw while others cook crisp and all the way though.
Best Spring Roll Wrappers
Here’s our suggestions on favorite wrappers. These are normally packaged as “spring roll” or “pastry wrappers” and can be found at Asian supermarkets or some specialty markets. They’re thinner than most egg roll wrappers found at traditional super markets, which are thicker. The texture is light and crispy, rather than thick and doughy.
Smaller is better
Try to use the smaller sized wrappers because because the egg rolls will cook quicker and crisper. The more layers of wrappers you have in your roll, the more chances of having the inside layers still raw because the air fryer can’t cook through all the layers. If you use the larger wrappers, then try to roll larger egg rolls so that you have less interior layers of wrapper that go un-cooked.
How to make air fryer chicken egg rolls
Our step by step photos tutorial will help guide you on this recipe.
Air Fryer Homemade Chicken Egg Rolls
CHICKEN VEGETABLE EGG ROLLS
- 1 pound (454 g) ground chicken *see head note
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) freshly grated ginger root , optional
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce (or fish sauce for more flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- freshly grated black pepper
- 2 cups (70 g) cabbage , shredded thin
- 1/2 cup (65 g) grated carrot , (about 1 medium carrot)
- 3 green onions , small chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 package egg roll wrappers or sometimes called "spring roll pastry" wrappers in the freezer section of market.
- oil or oil spray , for coating rolls
Make Egg Roll Filling
- Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then add the garlic and optional ginger. Cook for about 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add the ground chicken, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onions. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Stir in the egg and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat, place the cooked filling in a colander to drain excess juices and allow to cool.
Make the Hoisin-Peanut Dip
- While the chicken filling is cooling, make the dip. In bowl, combine all ingredients (hoisin, peanut butter, hot sauce, sesame oil, water, and rice vinegar) and whisk together. If you are making a very large batch, you can use a blender by blending all the ingredients together. But make sure you add enough water because some brands of hoisin are very thick.
Roll & Air Fry
- Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add about 1-2 Tablespoons of chicken filling to each wrapper (depending on the size of the wrapper) Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling (watch the video and look at the photos in the post above to see how to roll even and tight rolls).
- Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water or beaten egg to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls. Brush or spray rolls with oil to coat
- Air Fry 380°F for 15 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook until the wrapper is crispy and browned. If you use the larger wrapper cook a little longer so that all the layers can cook through to avoid being tough and chewy.
- Serve warm with hoisin-peanut dip. You can also wrap these chicken vegetable egg rolls in lettuce and eat them as lettuce egg roll wraps!
More Egg Roll Recipes:
- Here’s our–> stove top deep fried version!
- Try all our –> delicious egg roll recipes here
- Click Here for —-> Our Best Air Fryer Recipes .
- Hope you enjoy our air fryer spring rolls recipe. Check out these fresh chicken spring rolls recipe and learn how to make fresh spring rolls or summer rolls!