Vietnamese Shrimp Spring Rolls with Peanut Dip
If you’re familiar with Fresh Vietnamese spring rolls or Summer Rolls, you’ll wonder why you never made it before. Our shrimp spring rolls recipe is simple and perfect for sharing!
Vietnamese Shrimp Spring Rolls
One of the most popular dishes at Vietnamese restaurants are shrimp spring rolls with peanut dip. If you’re ever eating in a Vietnamese restaurant you’ll see many folks ordering this wonderful appetizer. Vietnamese spring rolls are fresh because they’re wrapped with rice paper, filled with fresh herbs, lettuce and light rice noodles. They’re super delicious and even more wonderful with you dip with spring rolls in peanut dip. If you love fresh spring rolls and love eating them, you’ll have so much fun making them homemade with your family! So many folks want to know how to roll fresh spring rolls and always think it’s complicated or way too hard to manage. Best of all, kids LOVE being able to roll their own rolls and dip them in the peanut sauce. It’s a great way to get kids to eat their veggies.
How to Make Spring Rolls or Summer Rolls Recipe
With a little of planning and prepping by cutting up some veggies, you can have a feast with these shrimp spring rolls. This recipe is very versatile and the possibilities are endless when it comes to the fillings. Our previous chicken spring roll recipe was a major hit so we now have a pescatarian version with shrimp for your seafood loving friends. Watch the video on how to roll these beauties and read our tutorial below with a bunch of photos. After that, you’ll be pro before you know it and can make a huge platter of these for your next party. People will go nuts cause everyone loves these easy to eat and healthy shrimp spring rolls! And oh, the dip. Everyone loves our easy peanut dip for spring rolls. You can even serve the dip with so many other things besides spring rolls.
Video: Vietnamese Fresh Shrimp Spring Rolls Recipe
Click Here for our Popular Chicken Spring Rolls Recipe
Popular Avocado Chicken Spring Rolls
Favorite Spring Roll Ingredients and Tools:
It can sometimes be hard to find good spring roll ingredients and tools. Here’s some of the favorites:
Shrimp Spring Rolls
For shrimp spring rolls:
- 1 pound (454 g) medium shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 8 ounces (227 g) dried rice vermicelli noodles or "rice sticks", cooked to package instructions
- 1 small head of lettuce , leaves separated
- 1 medium cucumber , cut into thin strips
- fresh herbs: mint , asian basil, Vietnamese coriander, Vietnamese perilla, cilantro etc…
- 12 8-inch (12 20-cm) rice paper wrappers or rice paper spring roll wrappers
For the peanut dip:
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) hoisin , for gluten free use the gluten free brands
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) peanut butter , almond butter, or cashew butter.
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh lime juice , optional
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili garlic sauce , optional
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water , or to preferred dip consistency
For the hoisin peanut dip:
- In a bowl, combine all dip ingredients together except the water (hoisin, peanut butter, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and optional lime juice, and optional chili garlic sauce).Blend well and then mix in water to make the dip to your desired consistency. Set aside.
For the rolls:
- Cook the dried rice vermicelli noodles to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Cook the Shrimp: Drizzle oil over the shrimp, season with salt and pepper if you’re grilling or searing the shrimp. Cook using any method you prefer: grill, pan sear, boil, broil, etc... To Pan Sear: heat a medium pan, add vegetable oil. Lay shrimp on pan and sear on both sides until shrimp becomes pink and cooked. Remove shrimp from heat, allow to cool and slice each shrimp lengthwise in half.
- Gather all your spring roll ingredients: noodles, shrimp, lettuce, cucumber, herbs and rice paper wrappers. Please see our photographs in the blog post to see how to roll with the sliced shrimp showing on the outside.
- Add warm water to a large bowl or rice paper dipping water bowl. Quickly dip each rice paper wrapper in warm water for a few seconds and lay on rolling surface such as a cutting board or plate (they will still be slightly stiff). Don’t oversoak the rice paper.
- Lay your lettuce first on the softened rice paper, then add the noodles, herbs, and cucumber.
- Roll the spring roll (tucking in toward you slightly as you roll) until you have about 1/3 of rice paper left, then lay about 2-3 pieces of shrimp, cut side up in a row and finish rolling. The shrimp will lay on the outside layer with just one layer of rice paper containing it in the spring roll when you are finished rolling.Serve with the peanut dipping sauce.
This recipe was originally published in 2016 and republished in 2020.