Hooray for egg rolls! If you’re ever wanting to make friends with new folks, say “I Love You”, say “I’m Sorry”, apologize for screwing up big-time or just to have a happy dinner, these chicken vegetable egg rolls fit each one of those occasions. Because seriously, who doesn’t love a crispy, hot, savory egg roll or crispy spring roll? These Chicken egg rolls are made with ground chicken and not only a perfect appetizer and party food, but when served with a salad or bowl of rice, they serve perfectly as an entree.
Watch the Recipe Video for Chicken Vegetable Egg Rolls
These crispy egg rolls have always been a favorite of our neighborhood kids. They’d always ask us when we’re making a batch of these, in a very polite way, of course. If they did good in school, we’d send over a hot batch of these chicken vegetable egg rolls. And then the parents would always thank us to no end and say how much they love them just as much as the kids. We got the hint and realized that we always need to drop off a double batch. 🙂
For this chicken egg rolls recipe, you can either start with raw chicken, then fry it in the wrappers. This gives a very flavorful and moist filling to the egg rolls. The juices from the filling remain in the wrappers. You just have to make sure to not fry the egg rolls in too high of heat or else they will be raw inside. Or you can pre-cook the filling first, then roll them in the egg roll wrappers and fry them to a golden brown.
Watch the Recipe Video for Hoisin-Peanut Dip
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2016 with a new video!
- 1 pound ground Chicken (chicken breast or thigh meat) *see head note
- 2 cups Cabbage , shredded thin
- 3 Green Onions , small chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Carrot , (about 1 medium carrot)
- 3 cloves Garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 large Egg
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce (or fish sauce for more flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt , or to taste
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1 package Egg Roll Wrappers or sometimes called "spring roll" wrappers in the freezer section of market.
- oil for frying
- fresh lettuce leaves (optional)
Make the chicken egg roll filling. In large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, green onions, carrot, garlic, egg, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, sea salt and black pepper. Mix together well, making sure all the chicken combines with the vegetables. Cover and allow to marinade for about 20 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients (hoisin, peanut butter, hot sauce, sesame oil, lime juice, water, and optional rice vinegar if desired) and whisk together. If you are making a very large batch, you can use a blender by blending all the ingredients together. But make sure you add enough water because some brands of hoisin are very thick.
Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add about 2 Tablespoons of chicken filling to each wrapper. Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling (watch the video in the post above to see how to roll even and tight rolls). Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water or beaten egg to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls.
- Fill large frying pan with about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil. Heat to about 350°F.
- Slowly add egg rolls to frying pan, but do not crowd them because they will stick together if placed too close.
- Fry each side of egg roll for about 3 minutes or until all sides are crisp and brown.
- Blot on paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve warm with hoisin-peanut dip.
- You can also wrap these chicken vegetable egg rolls in lettuce and them eat them as lettuce egg roll wraps!