Easy Chicken Egg Rolls Recipe
This chicken egg rolls recipe always makes everyone happy and they’re perfect for sharing. Because seriously, who doesn’t love a crispy, hot, savory egg roll or crispy spring roll? These Chicken egg rolls are made with ground chicken and not only a perfect appetizer and party food, but when served with a salad or bowl of rice, they serve perfectly as an entree. These crispy egg rolls have always been a favorite of our neighborhood kids. If they did good in school, we’d send over a hot batch of these chicken vegetable egg rolls. And then the parents would always thank us to no end and say how much they love them just as much as the kids. We got the hint and realized that we always need to drop off a double batch. 🙂
Video for Chicken Vegetable Egg Rolls
For this chicken egg rolls recipe, we wrote it to where you cook the chicken filling first. Or you can start with raw chicken, then fry it in the wrappers. Rolling with raw meat is how we traditionally make these in our Vietnamese household. Cooking with the raw chicken inside gives a very flavorful and moist filling to the egg rolls. The juices from the filling remain in the wrappers. You just have to make sure to not fry the egg rolls in too high of heat or else they will be raw inside. Or like we first mentioned, you can pre-cook the filling first. Next, roll the cooked filling in the wrappers and fry them to a golden brown.
Some wrappers don’t air fry well
Not all wrappers are the same and you’ll get different results with different brands. Some are thicker and can still raw in the centers while others cook crisp and all the way though.
Best Spring Roll Wrappers
Here’s our suggestions on favorite wrappers. These are normally packaged as “spring roll” or “pastry wrappers” and can be found at Asian supermarkets or some specialty markets. They’re thinner than most egg roll wrappers found at traditional super markets, which are thicker. The texture is light and crispy, rather than thick and doughy.
Smaller is better
Try to use the smaller sized wrappers because because the egg rolls will cook quicker and crisper. The more layers of wrappers you have in your roll, the more chances of having the inside layers still raw because the air fryer can’t cook through all the layers. If you use the larger wrappers, then try to roll larger egg rolls so that you have less interior layers of wrapper that go un-cooked.
How to Cook Egg Rolls Recipe
This is what the egg rolls look like when you use the thicker “egg roll” wrappers. We cooked the raw chicken filling in this deep fried version. Cooked through perfectly as always. The egg rolls were fried longer to make sure the raw ingredients cooked through.
Try all our –> delicious egg roll recipes here
Our Air Fryer Chicken Egg Rolls recipe here uses much less oil and healthier than deep fried egg rolls!
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2019 with a new video!
CHICKEN VEGETABLE EGG ROLLS W/ PEANUT HOISIN DIP
CHICKEN VEGETABLE EGG ROLLS
- 1 pound (454 g) ground chicken *see head note
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) cooking oil
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) freshly grated ginger root , optional
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) soy sauce (or fish sauce for more flavor)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- freshly grated black pepper
- 2 cups (70 g) cabbage , shredded thin
- 1/2 cup (65 g) grated carrot , (about 1 medium carrot)
- 3 (3 ) green onions , small chopped
- 1 large (1 large) egg
- 1 package (1 package) egg roll wrappers or sometimes called "spring roll" wrappers in the freezer section of market.
- vegetable oil , for frying
Make Egg Roll Filling
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then add the garlic and optional ginger. Cook for about 1 minute or until lightly browned. Add the ground chicken, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, salt and pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onions. Cook for another 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables soften. Stir in the egg and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat, place the cooked filling in a colander to drain excess juices and allow to cool.
Make the Hoisin-Peanut Dip
- While the chicken filling is cooling, make the dip. In bowl, combine all ingredients (hoisin, peanut butter, hot sauce, sesame oil, water, and rice vinegar) and whisk together. If you are making a very large batch, you can use a blender by blending all the ingredients together. But make sure you add enough water because some brands of hoisin are very thick.
Roll & Fry
- Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add about 1-2 Tablespoons of chicken filling to each wrapper (depending on the size of the wrapper) Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling (watch the video and look at the photos in the post above to see how to roll even and tight rolls).
- Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water or beaten egg to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls.
- Fill large frying pan with about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil. Heat to about 350°F.
- Slowly add rolls to frying pan, but do not crowd them because they will stick together if placed too close. Fry each side of egg roll for about 3 minutes or until all sides are crisp and brown.
- Blot on paper towel to remove excess oil. Serve warm with hoisin-peanut dip. You can also wrap these chicken vegetable egg rolls in lettuce and eat them as lettuce egg roll wraps!