There are many techniques on how to roast chicken with crispy skin. Here is one way that makes a a great crispy skin roast chicken that’s still moist and delicious. All it takes is a large cast iron skillet and you have a wonderful roast chicken dinner for the family.
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, definitely consider investing in one. They’re inexpensive, oven-proof and the perfect vessel for this roast chicken recipe. What the cast iron pan does so well is allow you to sear the chicken to a great crisp on all sides before the chicken bakes in the oven and then place everything directly into the oven.. You’ll be pleased at how easy this oven roast chicken is and how wonderfully juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside a baked chicken can be.
Start by heating skillet, then searing all sides of chicken
after searing all sides of chicken, roast the chicken in the oven
Crispy Skin Cast Iron Roast Chicken
Yield: Serves 2-4
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Please see post for more recipe details and photographs
- 1 whole Chicken
- Olive Oil or melted Butter
- Sea Salt of Kosher Salt
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Coat chicken with olive oil or melted butter. Liberally season with salt and pepper. Truss chicken if desired.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (large enough to fit your chicken) over medium-high heat. Brown each side of the chicken, about 3 minutes per side.
- After all sides are browned, place cast iron pan with chicken (breast side up) in the oven. Roast for 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes or until juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh or the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F when probed with an instant read thermometer (roasting time will vary depending on size of chicken).
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 20 minutes covered with foil. Carve and serve.