Crispy Skin Oven Roast Chicken in Cast Iron Skillet
Crispy Skin Roast Chicken
There are many techniques on how to roast chicken with crispy skin. Here is one way that makes a a great crispy skin roast chicken that’s still moist and delicious. All it takes is a large cast iron skillet and you have a wonderful roast chicken dinner for the family. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, definitely consider investing in one. They’re inexpensive, oven-proof and the perfect vessel for this roast chicken recipe. What the cast iron pan does so well is allow you to sear the chicken to a great crisp on all sides before the chicken bakes in the oven and then place everything directly into the oven.. You’ll be pleased at how easy this oven roast chicken is and how wonderfully juicy on the inside and crispy on the outside a baked chicken can be.
Juicy and Delicious Leftovers
You’ll have lots of yummy leftovers. There’s so many things to do with them and here’s our favorite ways to eat the chicken:
- Make a chicken stock or broth. Freeze it for later when you need to make soups.
- Make a healthy chicken soup right away. Add some onion, veggies and some of the shredded chicken.
- Make a chicken noodle soup: add some little pasta to cook in the soup and you have a hearty meal!
- Chicken salads
- Chicken Sandiwches
- Use the leftover chicken to make chicken enchiladas!
Start by heating skillet, then searing all sides of chicken
after searing all sides of chicken, roast the chicken in the oven
Crispy Skin Cast Iron Roast Chicken
- 1 whole Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Olive Oil or melted Butter
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Kosher Salt , or to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Pat dry the chicken. Coat chicken with olive oil or melted butter. Liberally season with salt and pepper. Truss chicken if desired.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (large enough to fit your chicken) over medium-high heat. Brown each side of the chicken, about 3 minutes per side.
- After all sides are browned, place cast iron pan with chicken (breast side up) in the oven. Roast for about 1 hour 10 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh or the temperature in the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F when probed with an instant read thermometer (roasting time will vary depending on size of chicken).
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for about 10 minutes covered with foil. Carve and serve.
If you enjoyed this recipe please share it in the comments below! We love seeing your delicious creations. And tag us at #bestrecipebox on instagram to share your photos.