Video: Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Our first recipe for crispy tacos was in 2011 and we were hooked. For those times when we’re craving crunchy tacos or taquitos, we make sure we have extra roast chicken on hand for a big batch. On Christmas day we rolled up a huge platter of these chicken taquitos, served them up with some fresh salsa and everyone was thrilled to be eating something fun and filling.
Kids especially love these because it’s the perfect hand food filled with chicken and there’s a dip involved. Bingo!
What makes these chicken taquitos so satisfying is that we load them with tons of freshly shredded chicken that’s cooked with fragrant onions and garlic. A touch of Worcestershire or soy sauce adds a great deep flavor to the chicken filling and corn tortillas provide the perfect crunch. Our recipe doesn’t include any cheese on the inside, but feel free to add some shredded cheddar cheese to your hearts desire. Just remember to not add too much cheese because it’ll melt too quickly and ooze out into the oil.
So do we call these chicken taquitos or crispy tacos or flautas? Here’s a great discussion.
More Mexican Recipes here.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-shared with a new video. Enjoy!
Photo Gallery for Rolling Chicken Taquitos Recipe
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 30 min
When rolling these taquitos, try to make the sizes thin and consistent. If you have too much chicken sticking out the edges, then the chicken might burn during frying. So try to gently push back some of the chicken that sticks out into the the middle of the roll. Or if it's too much, pull out excess chicken.
If using flour tortillas, they might be soft enough to roll without having to do the initial dip in hot oil. Test roll one to see if the hot oil dip is needed. Please refer to our step by step photographs or the video for good visual rolling instructions.You also don't need to pre-fry the tortillas! Here's a tip from one of our Facebook readers, Gabriela Sanchez. "you don't need to fry them the first time to soften them. Just wrap about 10 tortillas at the time in a kitchen cloth or plastic wrap, put in microwave for about 1 minute or so then continue adding the chicken and fry them.
- 1/2 pound (225g) cooked shredded Chicken breast or leg meat ( Recipes here for Baked Chicken or Poached Chicken )
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Worcestershire or Soy Sauce
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon (5ml) oil for cooking
- Vegetable oil for frying
- about 12 corn tortillas ( 6" size)
- Serve with Sour Cream, Fresh Salsa or Guacamole ( Here are recipes for Salsa and Guacamole )
Make Chicken filling:
- Heat large saucepan to medium heat. Add 1 Tablespoon oil, then add onions and garlic. Cook till soft and translucent.
- Add shredded chicken, Worcestershire or soy sauce and stir and cook for about 2 minutes or until everything is combined well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow mixture to cool completely.
Roll and Fry Taquitos:
- In large frying pan, add oil till about 1.5 " depth. Heat the oil to about 350º F, or until hot enough when a small piece of tortilla sizzles when dropped in oil.
- Soften the tortillas in oil: Grab two tortillas at a time with a pair of tongs, and dip them for few seconds in the oil. Do not dip too long or tortillas will break apart. Gently lay hot tortillas on paper towels and pile them into a single stack.
- Spoon about 2 Tablespoons of chicken filling in a line across the bottom of the tortillas. Tightly roll them up, then skewer with toothpicks to keep them closed.
- Fry the tacos in the hot oil for about 1-2 minutes or until golden, then turn over and finish frying both sides. Blot taquitos of excess oil on paper towels and serve immediately with sour cream, fresh salsa or guacamole.
Hello! All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use our images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or simply link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.