Healthy White Fish with Lemon and Capers
This healthy white fish with lemon and capers recipe has been on our weekly rotation and we just don’t get tired of it. It’s such an easy fish recipe to make but best of all, it’s loaded with great flavors.
Healthy White Fish with Lemon and Capers Recipe
White fish is always a favorite fish to cook up and with the lemon caper sauce, it’s super delicious! There’s so many different white fishes you can cook: tilapia, cod, halibut, mahi mahi, haddock, sole or flounder. There’s so many options and they all cook up great with this white fish recipe that you should try to new type of fish if you’re always eating the same one. If you’re hungry for a light and quick dinner, then this low carb fish recipe is for you. If you want it a little more decadent or more sauce, you can add more butter. Sure, you’re going to add more calories, but if you can splurge a bit the extra butter definitely adds wonderful flavor!
Video: Heathy Fish with Lemon Caper Sauce:
Options for Making the Healthy White Fish
- Change up the fish. Tilapia, cod, mahi mahi, etc. They all have different textures and flavors. Try it with one kind and then try again with another. Find the one you like the best.
- Use fresh lemon juice if you can. It will be much more bright tasting. If you only have bottled lemon juice, it will still work but will vary in the flavor.
- If you don’t want to use wine, you can substitute a light broth, like chicken broth, seafood broth, or vegetable broth.
- Add an extra handful of fresh herbs such as dill or parsley and it’ll be extra flavorful and wonderful. Everyone will be thrilled with the flavors and it’s an easy way to get your family to eat more seafood!
Fish with Lemon Caper Sauce
- 12 ounces (340 g) (two 6-ounces filets) firm White Fish (tilapia, cod, mahi-mahi, sole, flounder)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Olive Oil or Butter
- 1 medium Shallot , minced or 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 2 cloves Garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) dry White Wine
- zest of 1 medium Lemon
- 2 Tablespoons (45 ml) Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Capers , rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) minced Parsley
- Kosher Salt or Sea Salt , to taste
- fresh ground Black Pepper , to taste
- (optional) red Chili Flakes
- Season fish filets with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat non-stick frying pan on medium heat. Add olive oil or melt butter in the pan. Add the fish and cook on both sides until browned on both sides but still moist.
- Remove fish from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, add the shallot (or minced onion) and garlic. Cook until tender and translucent. Add the wine, lemon zest and lemon juice. Heat the sauce until it gently starts to boil. Reduce heat.
- Simmer the sauce for about 2 minutes or until it starts to reduce a bit. Add capers, parsley, salt, and pepper to taste. Add optional red chili flakes.
- Return the fish to the pan and cook for about another 1-2 minutes or until the fish is warmed in the sauce. Serve warm.
Other Must-Make Seafood Recipes
- Super Easy Honey Garlic Shrimp Recipe
- Our Popular Garlic Salmon in Foil Recipe
- Honey Garlic Salmon Recipe
- Hearty Salmon and Corn Chowder
- Foil Pack Garlic Butter Tilapia or White Fish
- Check out these easy healthy fish recipes
This recipe was originally published in 2016 and republished in 2021. If you made this recipe please share it in the comments below. Thanks so much!