Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas
Our Chicken Fajitas recipe is truly a delicious and easy one pot recipe. Our skillet chicken fajitas are perfect for tacos and more!
Easy Chicken Fajitas Recipe
A favorite dish we always love ordering at a Mexican restaurant are chicken fajitas. Because we can’t eat out everyday, we started cooking chicken fajitas at home so that we can have them on a regular basis and customize the flavors and spices to our liking. This easy chicken fajitas recipe is one of those one-pot meals that is so simple, it’s really easy to satisfy those cravings for Mexican recipes at home. There’s no reason to take the family out when you can easily make this homemade fajitas recipe. It’s also very flexible because we’ll use the chicken fajitas mixture in tortillas as chicken tacos, quesadillas and in a chicken fajita salad. So everyone in the family can customize this fajitas recipe to their own style.
Video for Chicken Fajitas Recipe:
Made with boneless skinless chicken breast, this healthy chicken fajitas recipe is great for those who are calorie counting and looking for a low fat chicken recipe. But for those who want more flavor, you can use boneless skinless chicken thigh meat. The thigh meat will certainly add more flavor to the fajitas. The marinade for the chicken uses many spices but what makes this recipe so great is using Worcestershire sauce. The Worcestershire is only about 1 teaspoon, but it makes a tremendous difference to the chicken fajitas. Feel free to add more if you want for added flavor.
During Summer when you have the bbq out, you can grill the chicken for a great grilled chicken fajitas. For Cinco de Mayo parties, one of our favorite dishes to bring is a platter of these chicken fajitas to the buffet table. Hope you enjoy our easy chicken fajitas recipe because you’ll always want to stay home and cook a great Mexican dinner for you and your family! And if you’re still craving awesome Mexican food, try these homemade smothered burritos, wow!
Easy Skillet Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil or grape seed oil (for marinade)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (4 ml) Kosher salt or sea salt, or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sugar , optional
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs , sliced into thin strips
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil or grape seed oil (for cooking)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 1 large bell pepper , sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno pepper , seeded and minced (optional)
Options For Serving Alongside
- Flour or corn tortillas for gluten free
- shredded cheese , optional
- sour cream , optional
- Make marinade for chicken: In large bowl, combine 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, optional sugar and lime/lemon juice.Add chicken to the marinade, then cover and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the Vegetables: Heat a large skillet on high heat and add 1 Tablespoon of oil. Then add onions cook onions until almost soft. Then add bell peppers and minced jalapeños (optional). Sear the peppers and onion until slightly charred. Remove pepper and onion mixture to bowl. Put aside.
- Cook the Chicken: In same pan, add the marinated chicken. DO NOT add the excess marinade juices because it will make the chicken less charred and crispy. But if you want a more wet fajita mixture, you can add the excess marinade.Cook chicken until done, then add pepper/onion mixture back into the skillet with the chicken. Cook for 1 more minute or until onions are hot and the mixture is combined well.
- Serve with corn or flour tortilla, cheese, sour cream or fresh salsa.
this recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2021 with new images and new video.