Salsa Recipe with Fresh Tomatoes
Our fresh salsa recipe is perfect when you have fresh tomatoes on hand make yourself a batch. Each bite and dip into the salsa is worth the effort of dicing and mincing.
Fresh Salsa Recipe
This is one of those recipes that you can be flexible with and adapt to your taste for any Mexican recipe or breakfast/brunch meal. Add additional fresh cilantro, onion or lime juice. Or omit any one of these if you want, it’s all up to you and what you want.
A kick of spice to this salsa heightens the flavor of the fresh ingredients, so don’t be afraid to add more minced jalapeno or serrano chili to your taste. As you prep the chili pepper, remember to wear gloves when handing hot peppers or at least be cautious and don’t rub your eyes! For any chicken recipes or egg recipes that we feature on this site, this is one of our go-to fresh salsa recipes.
What Tomatoes to Use for Salsa
Ideally a nice, ripe firm fleshed tomatoes like Roma tomatoes. Just about any tomato in the paste style family of tomatoes work great (that’s the family that Roma tomatoes are in). Beefsteak tomatoes and the types like them work great too. Try to use a tomato that has a nice thick flesh section. but at the end of the day, any tomato you have on hand will work just fine. And of course, the better tasting the tomato is, the more delicious the salsa will be.
How Long will Fresh Salsa Last
It will vary depending on the freshness of your tomatoes, but a fresh salsa is usually best served within the first 2-3 days, keeping it stored in the fridge. After that the tomatoes will start to break down and the texture won’t be at its best. It will still be delicious for another 2-3 days, but the texture will start to be softer. And of course, if your tomatoes were older they might go softer sooner or start to mold sooner, and at that point, don’t serve the salsa.
Different Foods to Serve with Salsa
- scrambled eggs
- topping for healthy salads
- baked chicken or grilled chicken
- add a bit of this with smashed avocado for a quick and easy guacamole
Fresh Salsa Recipe
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh tomatoes , cored and cut into small dice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh cilantro , minced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) onion , minced (optional )
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh lime juice
- 1 small jalapeno or serrano chili (or to taste) , seeded & minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients (tomato, cilantro, onion, lime juice, chilies, and salt). Mix well.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve. Keeps for 1-2 days before losing freshness.
Other Must Make Salsa & Sauce Recipes
- Refreshing Mango Salsa Recipe
- Salsa Verde Recipe with Tomatillos, Cilantro, Chiles
- Fresh Avocado Guacamole
- Garlic Roasted Tomatoes Recipe
So many different salsa recipe ideas here.