Instant Pot / Slow Cooker Sloppy Joes Recipe
If you love a good messy, juicy sandwich then you’ll love our instant pot sloppy joes recipe. This is one of the best sloppy joe recipes we’ve been able to finalize over the past few weeks. After much testing and tasting, we’ve found the right balance of sweet, tangy and juicy ground beef sloppy joes. Best of all, we’re making it all in our favorite pressure cooker, the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot or Slow Cooker Sloppy Joe
If you’ve already noticed our collection of delicious Instant Pot recipes then you’ll know why we’re such huge fans of this great pressure cooker. But it’s also great in a slow cooker as well if you’re wanting to make a slow cooker sloppy joe. There’s a lot of flexibility with this instant pot sloppy joes recipe and how you cook it. It all turns out great, full of flavor and be ready to have the napkins ready because it can be super messy if you add extra meat!
Video: Instant Pot Sloppy Joe Recipe
Best Bread for Pressure Cooker Sloppy Joes
- There’s so many different types of bread that you can eat with it too besides the toasted burger bun.
- Baguette: If you like crispy bread, then a baguette is great for this juicy ground beef filing.
- Hoagie rolls are great options if you like softer bread.
- Soft Hawaiian style rolls: this sweet and tender style bread is awesome for soaking up all the sauce.
- How ever you decide to make this delicious recipe for sloppy joe and what ever bread you choose, it’ll be delicious! And here’s a great 5 ingredient crock pot chili recipe too!
Our Favorite Cookers & Goodies for Entertaining:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household, plus with an added bonus of some of our favorite finds for entertaining:
Instant Pot Sloppy Joe (or Slow Cooker)
- 2 pounds (907 g) ground beef (preferrably a leaner meat)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 (1 ) medium onion , diced
- 3-4 cloves (3 cloves) fresh garlic , minced
- 1 cup (240 g) Ketchup
- 1/2 cup (123 g) tomato sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) yellow mustard or dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- Kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
For the sandwich:
- 8 (8 ) burger buns , warmed or toasted
- 2 cups (226 g) shredded cheddar cheese , optional
- Pickles , optional
For Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot on "Sauté”. Add oil. Sauté onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Add beef. Cook beef mixture for about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add ketchup, tomato sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. (These are the steps we did for our Instant Pot: Close lid and close pressure release valve. Press "Cancel" to stop the "Sauté" setting. Press the "Manual" button. Set the time to 10 minutes.)
- After the cooking time is complete, press "Cancel" and carefully release the pressure.Serve the beef mixture between the bread and add your optional favorite toppings like cheese or pickles.
For Slow Cooker
- In slow cooker add all the sloppy joe ingredients except for the olive oil (ground beef, onion, garlic, ketchup, tomato sauce, mustard, worcestershire, salt and pepper). Gently mix together all the ingredients to make everything combine well.
- Cover and cook the mixture on low for 7 hours or about 4 hours on high. After cooked, give the sloppy joe mixture a good stir. Serve the sloppy joe mixture between the bread and add your optional favorite toppings like cheese or pickles.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- A Reader Favorite! –> Popular Instant Pot Pork Loin Roast Recipe with Veggies and Gravy
- HERE’S FOR OUR AMAZING –> INSTANT POT TENDER POT ROAST RECIPE
- CLICK HERE FOR POPULAR —> HEALTHY CHICKEN VEGETABLE SOUP RECIPE
- So good and so quick! —-> CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP RECIPE
- We’re obsessed! —> CREAMY GARLIC CHICKEN BROCCOLI SOUP RECIPE
- This recipe was originally published in 2018 and re-published in 2021 with an updated video!