Grilled Asian Chicken
When planning your Summer bbq menu, add this grilled Asian chicken recipe to your list and you’ll make a ton of hungry friends happy. It’s the best grilled chicken recipe with Asian flavors.
Grilled Asian Chicken Recipe
Our grilled Asian chicken has so much great flavor because we use fish sauce. Now, please don’t be scared of fish sauce just yet because once you understand it’s flavor power, you’ll be more comforting in using more in your cooking. Sure, fish sauce it can be intimidating because of the strong smell but using just a little bit does a long way. When you’re making this grilled Asian chicken recipe, you’ll smell and taste the amazing savory umami flavor and it won’t taste fishy at all. But if you still want to stay away from fish sauce then you can always use soy sauce which adds a different layer of delicious savory umami flavor.
This grilled Asian chicken is great on tacos for delicious Asian tacos and Kim chi Korean pickles. Or serve it on salad or rice. There’s so many wonderful ways to serve this grilled Asian chicken. You’ll be so happy with the great Asian flavors that you’ll have to make a double batch!
Video: Easy Grilled Asian Chicken
More Easy Marinades for Chicken
You can definitely use different sauces or bottled marinades for this grilled chicken:
- Soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce adds a great savory flavor
- You can use your favorite bottled bbq sauce !
- Hoisin and oyster sauce would be other good options for this grilled Asian chicken marinade and all those would give tons of wonderful flavor.
- There’s lots of great hot sauces out there for those of you who love that spicy kick. There’s so many options here so give them all a try! If you’re craving another great Asian chicken recipe, try this wonderful Kung Pao Chicken!
Check out a Few of our Favorite BBQs & Tools:
Some tools, grills, and smokers make BBQ and grilling all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Avoid BBQ Tool Sets. We’ve yet to find a set where we love everything in it. Either the spatula or the tongs or the brush is wonky. Or there is stuff in there that is never needed. Do yourself a favor and just buy what you need a la carte. For grilling tongs, these bad boys are awesome.
Have a grilling or BBQ question, you’ll most likely find an answer here. The most comprehensive grilling & BBQ book we’ve ever found, by far. He breaks down the science and myths, the tools, solid recipes, perfecting techniques, what’s BBQ competition tricks aren’t worth the extra time at home, and much more. You will be grill & BBQ enlightened.
Grilling should never be confined to the daylight. Love this BBQ light. Good brightness, solid magnets plus clamp option. We’ve gone through 1/2 dozen different grilling lights before falling in love with this one. Be ready to grill all night long.
Love this offset smoker. Solid construction. Isn’t perfect, but with a couple easy modifications it will smoke as well as the $1k + smokers. Can use the main chamber also as a regular charcoal grill. Love using it as a regular grill using lump charcoal or briquettes. Huge cooking surface.
One of the best for the money. Solid gas grill! Nothing like the quick convenience of a good gas grill.
We love these basting brushed. Clean up super easy, hold a solid amount of sauce. Our go-to basting brush.
Grilled Asian Chicken
- 2 pounds (907 g) boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/4 cup (4 ml) chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) oyster sauce or hoisin sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) brown sugar
- 3-4 cloves (3 cloves) garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) curry powder , optional
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Stir together all marinade ingredients (oil, fish sauce or soy sauce, oyster sauce or hoisin, brown sugar, garlic, onion powder, curry powder, salt, and pepper), in a bowl or large ziplock bag.Add chicken and to the marinade and chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high heat. Scrape the grill grates to make sure they are clean.
- Remove chicken from plastic bag/bowl and discard excess marinade. Grill the chicken for about 2-4 minutes per side, or until slightly charred and the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro on chicken and serve in a sandwich, or with a side of veggies or rice. Or make it into a taco!