Grilled Garlic Broccoli with Cheddar Cheese
Have you ever tried grilling broccoli on the bbq or grill? If you haven’t, you’re in for a big surprise. We’re super excited about sharing this grilled broccoli recipe because it was a surprise hit!
Grilled Broccoli Recipe
After a week of testing and filming Summer grilling recipes we went through our mental list of new veggies to grill. We absolutely love broccoli but didn’t think it would grill well and so broccoli wasn’t on our original list. Since we had a bunch of broccoli heads already in the fridge we decided to just give it a try. If it didn’t work out we thought that we could salvage it by finishing it off in the oven. But wow we didn’t have to go that far because this grilled broccoli recipe was a hit! Our whole team devoured the platter and were all super surprised at how delicious snd easy it was to make this grilled broccoli recipe broccoli recipe on the grill.
Watch Video: Grilled Broccoli Recipe
Crispy Broccoli Loaded with Flavor
Wow the charred, crispy edges of the marinated broccoli was addicting and one of the most deli food vegetable dishes we’ve ever had. The flavorful garlic marinade and the edges of the bbq broccoli were fabulous. We invited one of our taste testers to try it and he was super pleased with everything about this grilled broccoli. The cheese on top added the perfect creamy texture and flavor. You guys this truly is going to be one of your favorite snd easy grilled vegetable dishes for Summer. Add this bbq broccoli as a side dish to your favorite ribs, brisket or grilled chicken. Kids will LOVE this and so will the big kids too (adults). So give it a try and let us know what you think. We’re totally obsessed about Summer grilled broccoli with cheese now.
Grilled Garlic Broccoli with Cheese
- 1 pound (454 g) broccoli , cut into thick slices
- 1/4 cup (56 ml) oil
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried oregano , basil or Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) lemon pepper seasoning or seasoning salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt , or to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup (57 g) grated cheddar cheese
- optional , lemon wedges for serving
- *Optional – see head note: In large pot of boiling water, quickly blanche the cut broccoli for about 1 minute. Drain the broccoli and rinse with cold water to keep the broccoli from cooking further. Blot broccoli with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high to high heat. Scrape the grill grates to make sure they are clean.
- In bowl, combine oil, Worcestershire sauce, dried herbs, lemon pepper/seasoning salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. Whisk ingredients together.
- Brush the marinade on both all sides of the broccoli slices. Sprinkle salt and pepper to top of broccoli to taste.
- Gently place marinated broccoli on grill. Cook the broccoli for about 2-4 minutes each side, or until nicely charred with crispy edges.
- Lay broccoli on platter and sprinkle with cheese while the broccoli is still hot so cheese can melt. Serve with lemon wedges if desired!
Nutrition Information per Serving
Favorite BBQs & Tools for Making Smoking and Grilling:
Some tools, grills, and smokers make BBQ and grilling all the more enjoyable.
Oklahoma Joe’s Reverse Flow Offset Smoker –
Love this offset smoker. Solid construction. Isn’t perfect, but with a couple easy modifications it will smoke as well as the $1k + smokers. Can use the main chamber also as a regular charcoal grill. Love using it as a regular grill using lump charcoal or briquettes. Huge cooking surface.
Oasity BBQ Light –
Grilling should never be confined to the daylight. Love this BBQ light. Good brightness, solid magnets plus clamp option. We’ve gone through 1/2 dozen different grilling lights before falling in love with this one. Be ready to grill all night long.
Traeger ‘Que Classic BBQ Sauce –
A good sauce is the finish touch to great BBQ. Get a little sweet and heat or check out the rest of their sauce line-ups for other options.
Flame Boss Wifi Temperature Control – A gadget geeks smoking dream. Control your grill and smoker’s temp. from your phone. Adjusts air flow, determines meat temperature. Gadget awesomeness!
Weber Charcoal Chimney Starter –
The perfect way to light lump charcoal or briquettes.
Premium Lump Charcoal –
Burns hotter and longer. Give a great smoke flavor without needing to add wood chips. Our preferred fuel for smoking meats.
Why is the broccoli tough and chewy?
Did you pre-boil the broccoli? This helps make the broccoli more tender during grilling. Or if it’s still tough, then maybe you’re just grilling the broccoli at too high of a heat. If the heat or flames cook char the outside of the broccoli too quick, it doesn’t get a chance to cook the broccoli on the inside. So try reducing your flame or heat level.
What to serve with grilled broccoli?
- There’s so many awesome ways to serve this bbq broccoli recipe. You can chop it up and make a salad, like our broccoli salad recipe here but using the grilled broccoli instead of the roasted broccoli.
- You can serve it with any of our best grilling recipes. From grilled meats to seafood and chicken, there’s so many ways to enjoy this broccoli side dish.
- If you’re a vegetarian, make a fantastic veggie sandwich. Layer the flavorful slices of crispy broccoli with some cheese, mayo, lettuce and tomato. This is a great vegetarian burger or sandwich with broccoli to replace the meat.