Easy Butternut Squash Casserole Bake
We’re obsessed with butternut squash and hope you are too. It’s hard for us to not want to eat this beloved squash because there’s so many ways to prepare it. Our easy butternut squash casserole is just one example that helps us devour a healthy vegetable quickly and easily. Another great reason to love this casserole is because it’s perfect for holidays, Thanksgiving, Christmas or anytime you want a warm baked squash dish to come out of the oven to feed the masses. And best of all, it warms up the house wonderfully with fantastic comforting aromas. We use bacon in our recipe but if you want to make it vegetarian or vegan, just omit the bacon and use vegetable stock. It’s that easy to contribute a colorful and delicious squash casserole dish to your next dinner table. Another great option is to add some crunchy bread crumbs on top. We’re working on some more creative squash casserole recipes and will be sharing with you all soon! Yup, we’re always and forever will be obsessed with squash.
Video: butternut squash casserole recipe
When cooking with butternut squash, be aware that they vary so much in size. So we prefer to measure by weight so that our volume of squash is as accurate as possible. Sometime a medium squash in one area or grocery market might be the same as a large in other stores!
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2018 with updated video
Butternut Squash Casserole Bake
- 3 pounds (1.35 kg) butternut squash (1 lrg. or 2 small) peeled and cut into about 3/4” pieces
- 4 slices bacon , cut into bite sized pieces (omit to make vegetarian, just add 2 Tablespoons of oil)
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 3 cloves garlic , minced or crushed
- 1 cup (70 g) chopped brown mushrooms , about 4 ounces
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chicken stock , turkey stock or vegetable stock
- kosher salt or sea salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Generously butter a 2-quart baking dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until fat renders, about 3 minutes. Add the onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are soft, 1-2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and butternut squash and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add parsley, sage, thyme leaves, stock, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Spread the squash mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or until the squash is tender and lightly browned on the top. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Enjoy more of our fabulous Butternut Squash Recipes Here