Chicken Fajita Salad
Our chicken fajita salad recipe is the ultimate way to satisfy your chicken fajitas craving in a light, refreshing and healthy salad.
Low Carb Chicken Fajita Salad
When we make a batch of our chicken fajitas recipe, there’s so many options on how to eat them. One favorite ways is to eat them are in tacos with flour tortillas or corn tortillas. When we’re craving a healthy chicken dinner, we’ll opt out of the chicken tacos and serve the chicken fajitas on a bed of lettuce. A refreshing pile of lettuce, fajitas with chicken and fresh tomato salsa makes a wonderful chicken fajita salad. The recipe for the chicken is so flavorful already that you might not even need a salad dressing. But if you still crave more flavor, you can drizzle as much of this cumin lime dressing as you want!
Video: Delicious Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe:
This fajita salad recipe is gluten free and can be healthy with chicken breast or if you want more flavor, cook this fajitas recipe with chicken thigh or leg meat. The cumin lime dressing is wonderfully refreshing and compliments the fajita salad perfectly. The dressing is made with a combination of spices and will keep in fridge for up to 1 week. But the recipe for the salad dressing is rather just enough for a batch of the chicken fajitas, so you might not have any left over.
So for your next game day gathering or taco night, go for the salad. It’s a low carb and delicious way to enjoy the flavors of fajitas without all the tortilla carbs!
Click Here for —> Our Mexican Street Corn Recipe. YUM
Click Here for our —> Amazing Mexican Recipes
Here’s a great recipe for rolled chicken taquitos.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2019 with new video and photos. Enjoy!
Chicken Fajita Salad with Cumin-Lime Dressing
For the Cumin-Lime Dressing
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grape seed oil or canola oil
- Zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh grated ginger (or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cumin
For the Chicken Fajitas
- 1 pound (454 g) boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs , sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil or grape seed oil(for marinade)
- 3 cloves (3 cloves) garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon (4 ml) Kosher salt or sea salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) sugar
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil or grape seed oil (for cooking)
- 1 (1 ) onion , sliced
- 1 (1 ) large bell pepper , sliced thin
- 1 (1 ) jalapeno pepper , seeded and minced (optional)
For the Salad
- 1-2 heads (1 head) lettuce washed and torn or cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup (180 g) salsa
Make the Cumin Lime Dressing
- (This can be done well in advance) In bowl, combine all dressing ingredients: Oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper, ginger and ground cumin. Whisk together well, then set aside.
Make the Chicken Fajitas
- Make marinade for chicken: In large bowl, combine 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, sugar and lime/lemon juice.
- Add chicken to the marinade, then cover and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large skillet on high heat and add 1 Tablespoon of oil. Then add onions cook onions until almost soft. Then add bell peppers. Sear the peppers and onion until slightly charred. Add the minced jalapenos (optional).
- Remove pepper and onion mixture to bowl. Put aside.
- In same pan, add the marinated chicken. DO NOT add the excess marinade juices because it will make the chicken less charred and crispy. But if you want a more wet fajita mixture, you can add the excess marinade.
- Cook chicken until done, then add pepper/onion mixture back into the skillet with the chicken. Cook for 1 more minute or until onions are hot and the mixture is combined well.
- Allow the chicken fajitas to cool.
For the Salad
- When serving, toss fresh lettuce with cumin lime dressing. Add salad to plate and top off with chicken fajitas and fresh tomato salsa.