Our chicken fajita salad recipe is the ultimate way to satisfy your chicken fajitas craving in a light, refreshing and healthy salad.
When we make a batch of our chicken fajitas recipe, there’s so many options on how to eat them. One favorite ways is to eat them are in tacos with flour tortillas or corn tortillas. When we’re craving a healthy chicken dinner, we’ll opt out of the chicken tacos and serve the chicken fajitas on a bed of lettuce. A refreshing pile of lettuce, fajitas with chicken and fresh tomato salsa makes a wonderful chicken fajita salad. The recipe for the chicken fajitas are so flavorful already that you might not even need a salad dressing. But if you still crave more flavor, you can drizzle as much of this cumin lime dressing as you want!
Watch this Delicious Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe:
This chicken fajita salad recipe is gluten free and can be healthy with chicken breast or if you want more flavor, cook this fajitas recipe with chicken thigh or leg meat. The cumin lime dressing is wonderfully refreshing and compliments the fajita salad perfectly. The dressing is made with a combination of spices and will keep in fridge for up to 1 week. But the recipe for the salad dressing is rather just enough for a batch of the chicken fajitas, so you might not have any left over. More—> Chicken Salad Recipes and Mexican Recipes and Gluten Free Recipes
Click Here for —> Our Mexican Street Corn Recipe. YUM
Click Here for our —> Amazing Mexican Recipes
Here’s a great recipe for rolled chicken taquitos.
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2018 with new video and photos. Enjoy!
For a sheet pan version of the chicken fajitas - see this recipe here: Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
The dressing for this salad can be made well in advance. We'll often make it a day or two before if we know we'll be serving this salad.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs , sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or grape seed oil(for marinade)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt or sea salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil or grape seed oil (for cooking)
- 1 onion , sliced
- 1 large bell pepper , sliced thin
- 1 jalapeno pepper , seeded and minced (optional)
- 1-2 heads lettuce washed and torn or cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup salsa
(This can be done well in advance) In bowl, combine all dressing ingredients: Oil, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper, ginger and ground cumin. Whisk together well, then set aside.
- Make marinade for chicken: In large bowl, combine 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, sugar and lime/lemon juice.
- Add chicken to the marinade, then cover and chill for about 20 minutes.
- Cook the chicken: Heat a large skillet on high heat and add 1 Tablespoon of oil. Then add onions cook onions until almost soft. Then add bell peppers. Sear the peppers and onion until slightly charred. Add the minced jalapenos (optional).
- Remove pepper and onion mixture to bowl. Put aside.
- In same pan, add the marinated chicken. DO NOT add the excess marinade juices because it will make the chicken less charred and crispy. But if you want a more wet fajita mixture, you can add the excess marinade.
- Cook chicken until done, then add pepper/onion mixture back into the skillet with the chicken. Cook for 1 more minute or until onions are hot and the mixture is combined well.
Allow the chicken fajitas to cool.
When serving, toss fresh lettuce with cumin lime dressing. Add salad to plate and top off with chicken fajitas and fresh tomato salsa.