We can’t tell you how many friends died for this amazing grilled mexican street corn recipe. You guys, seriously this is what Summer is all about: making the best corn dishes to share with all your friends. It’s all about eating in the outdoors, enjoying the awesome weather and sweet corn. These are called Elotes, which is a Mexican street corn that is super popular street food that is loved by so many for it’s fantastic flavors. It might be a little messy but the combination of the Mexican crema and Mexican cotija cheese is fantastic. There’s so much to love about mexican street corn because the grilled corn flavors and the creamy cheesy spread makes every single bite amazing. It’s addicting because it’s not just one ear of corn you might eat. You an easily consume 2 or 3 in one sitting. It’s almost like a meal in itself.
Video of Mexican Street Corn Salad:
If you don’t have Mexican crema you can use sour cream and if you can’t find Mexican Cotija cheese, you can use feta or even parmesan cheese. We feel like Parmesan cheese is the closest to Cotija cheese. This is one of those recipes that you might need to made 4 batches of because it’s so good, everyone is going to really want to devour Summer corn and take advantage of every delicious mexican street corn bite. Can you tell we’re obsessed? It’s definitely going to be at all of our Summer parties because it’s one of the most fun seasons for grilling corn!
Check out a Few of our Favorite BBQ Tools:
Some tools make BBQ and grilling all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Silicone Basting Brush – The best thing to happen to BBQ since BBQ sauce.
Mexican Street Corn (ELOTES)
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 30 minutes
You can also shuck the corn for a salad version for easier serving. Just cook the corn kernels in a bit of olive oil, then allow to cool and toss with the cheese mixture and toppings. If you don't have Mexican crema you can use sour cream and if you can't find Mexican Cotija cheese, you can use a some feta or even parmesan cheese.
- 1/3 cup (80ml) sour cream or Mexican crema
- 1/4 cup (60ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (120ml) finely crumbled cotija (or parmesan cheese or feta cheese) plus more for serving
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) chili powder, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 cup (60ml) finely chopped cilantro leaves, and extra for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 ears of corn, husked
- about 2 tablespoons (30g) butter, melted
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste on grilled corn
- 2 stalks of green onions, sliced thin
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, cheese, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, cilantro, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Brush melted butter on the corn. Season corn with salt and pepper, to taste. Heat grill and cook corn, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred, about 5-7 minutes depending on how hot your grill is.
- Transfer corn to a platter and spoon cheese mixture over the corn. Sprinkle with extra cheese, paprika or chili powder, green onions and/or chopped cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.