This cheesy Brussels sprouts gratin casserole recipe is a holiday favorite!
Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Gratin
If you’re ever hankering for a great brussels sprouts recipe that’s beyond the classic roasted, this is it! Roasted brussels sprouts are classic and wonderful but for some brussels sprouts haters, it’s just not enough to get them to appreciate the delicious bite of this controversial vegetable. Let’s introduce these folks to this wonderful brussels sprouts gratin recipe that’s cheesy, creamy, loaded with flavor and super delicious. If you love anything that’s a vegetable coming from the oven in casserole form, you’ll love this recipe for brussels sprouts gratin. Overtime we’ve made this, eaters have wowed over how delicious brussels sprouts can be.
Video: Best Brussels Sprouts Gratin Recipe
So if you’re looking for a different cheesy vegetable casserole other than scalloped potatoes or potatoes au gratin, this green veggie version will knock everyones socks off. We have some friends that actually love making this instead of potatoes au gratin because brussels sprouts are much less carbs. There’s a huge difference in carb count between potatoes and brussels sprouts. So this baked this may be less calories than potatoes, but still they’re decent in their own way and everyone once in a while, you have to splurge! Hope you enjoy! We’re obsessed with this recipe. More of our Brussels Sprouts Recipes Here and Great Vegetable Recipes Here.
Brussels Sprouts Gratin Casserole
- 2 pounds (910 g) Brussels sprouts , halved
- 3 Tablespoons (45 g) butter
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) flour
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 1 cup (100 g) grated parmesan cheese , extra for topping if you like
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375° F.
- Clean, trim stems of Brussels sprouts. Cut in half and keep all of loose leaves. Fill medium stock pot half way with water, bring to boil. Add Brussels sprouts, stirring in hot water and blanch quickly for about 2 minutes or until they turn bright green. Immediate drain. Do not cook Brussels sprouts too long and make them soft!
- In large pan melt butter, then add flour and quickly stir with whisk to combine and remove clumps. Turn off heat.
- Add milk, salt, cheese, mayo, garlic powder and black pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add Brussels sprouts and combine with cheese mixture. Pour into baking dish and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender.
- If you want an extra cheese crusted, top with grated parmesan cheese before baking.
Always a Classic –> Amazing Balsamic Roasted Recipe
Try Our —> Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
Click Here for Our —> Sheet Pan Brussels with Bacon and Garlic.
Super popular : Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Parsley Dressing is super fresh.
Below: Sriracha marinade on brussels sprouts? Yes! Recipe Here.
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.