Fresh Green Bean Casserole
Classic green bean casserole is always a popular side dish for holidays. Our version is a fresh green bean casserole recipe that uses fresh, crisp green beans. It’s super easy and a perfect vegetable side dish.
Watch video: Fresh Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
How to Make Fresh Green Bean Casserole
As we mentioned, using fresh green beans is wonderful if you love the texture of fresh green beans. The crisp flavor of fresh green beans can’t be beat. It’s super easy to make our fresh green bean casserole. We’re replacing the canned green beans for fresh ones. Instead of using canned of mushroom soup, we like to sauté the mushrooms and add that with fresh green beans. We still use a can of fried onions on top because those are delicious and easy! You can definitely fry your own battered onions if you like and if you have the time!
Why Use Fresh Green Beans instead of Canned Ones?
Sure, canned green beans are easy. But once you taste the flavor of fresh beans, you’ll be hooked! Best of all, you can totally cook and control the texture of green beans to your own standards. Canned green beans are usually the same soft texture. If you’re a fan of more flavorful and crisp, tender green beans then making then fresh is the way to go for this green bean casserole. There’s probably more nutrients in using fresh green beans instead of canned ones. Love fresh green beans but want to know how to pick good one? Here’s a great article teaching how to pick a green bean.
This recipe was originally in 2018 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.
Fresh Green Bean Casserole
For the mushroom sauce:
- 4 Tablespoons (60 g) butter , divided
- 8 ounces (227 g) mushrooms , sliced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) flour
- 1 cup (240 ml) broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
For the Green Beans:
- 1 pound (454 g) fresh green beans , halved
- 1/2 cup (50 g) parmesan cheese or shredded cheese of choice
- 1/2 cup (54 g) toasted bread crumbs
- 6 ounce (170 g) container of fried onions
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
- Blanch the green beans:Heat large pot of salted water to boil. Boil the green beans for about 5 minutes or until your tender. Drain and put in ice bath to stop the cooking.
- Make the mushroom sauce:In oven proof skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.Add garlic powder or garlic and remaining butter (2 tablespoons). Cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring to remove lumps. Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce whisking until incorporated.Add the milk. Whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).
- Reduce heat to medium, stirring often, simmer until it starts to thicken, about 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and salt again if needed. Turn off the heat.
- Finish the Casserole: Add the green bean and cheese to the mushroom sauce in that same oven-safe skillet or combine them in a baking dish. Top the casserole with bread crumbs and fried onions.
- Bake the casserole for about 15 minutes or until it’s golden brown and bubbly.
Popular Green Bean Recipes:
Here’s our popular–> Tried and True Holiday Recipes
Click Here for –> Easy Holiday Dessert Recipes