Here’s a few reasons why you should make this Green Goddess hummus recipe. First, it’s the perfect Summer inspired recipe for hummus because basil is plentiful. Second, the fragrant flavors of basil add so much bright and delicious flavor to your everyday hummus.
Lastly, it’s just so wonderfully healthy to add a big handful of fresh basil leaves along with some more green from parsley leaves and fresh sprigs of time. There’s so many more reasons to make this, but hopefully you’ll be convinced enough to understand why this is called the green goddess hummus.
Watch the video making the Green Goddess Hummus:
Add this hummus or easy basil bean dip to your favorite sandwich or wrap. The green goddess combination of fresh herbs adds a great layer of flavor to even your simplest of turkey sandwiches. Or surround this hummus with a bunch of your favorite raw chopped vegetables. The colorful rainbow of vegetables surrounding the green goddess colors is a sight for hungry eyes.
Green Goddess Basil Hummus Recipe
- one 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup (120ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water , or more if needed
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15g) tahini paste
- 2 medium cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 cup rough chopped Italian basil
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley leaves
- leaves from two 3-inch sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt , or more to taste
- In blender combine all ingredients. Blend until smooth, if necessary stopping blender a few times and stirring mixture to help it blend smooth. If needed blend in one tablespoon of water or oil at a time to make the hummus creamy and smooth.
- It's helpful to use a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender when the hummus mixture sticks to the blender sides. That way, all the hummus is blended together at the same time for even texture.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to overnight, allowing the flavors to marry. Hummus will keep for several days stored airtight in the refrigerator.
- Serve with your favorite pita bread, vegetable crudité, crackers, chips, toast, or fried bread.