A wonderful appetizer to have at a party are chicken skewers. They’re quick, easy to make and even taste great when they’re cold, though everything tastes better hot off the grilled. This Asian chicken satay recipe has great flavor because it’s marinated with Asian spices such as fish sauce and curry powder. Best of all, these chicken satay skewers are served with a flavorful and peanut dip. Grilling them makes the chicken healthier and the recipe uses healthy boneless skinless chicken breast, though if you want more flavor, you can use chicken thigh dark meat. They’re delicious no matter what type of chicken you want to use.
Serve the chicken satay with a side of fresh vegetables for that added fresh crunch and crisp. Or to make them more fragrant, add some minced fresh mint or basil leaves on top. The peanut dip is cooked with fresh garlic, vinegar and fish sauce, so there’s the added punch of Asian flavor in the dip as well. So when you’re ready for a party, this chicken satay recipe is the perfect chicken appetizer and make sure you make a lot because everyone will be eating at least two or three skewers for themselves.
Chicken Satay Skewers Recipe with Peanut Dip
Yield: Serves 2-4
Total Time: 30 min
Please read post for more recipe details. When making the skewers, make sure to cut the chicken strips thin and evenly so that you get even cooking on all the skewers. For the peanut dip, add more fish sauce to the dip if you want more flavor!
Peanut dip Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce (or to taste)
- 1 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon chili hot sauce (optional)
Chicken Satay Skewers Ingredients:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast or chicken thigh meat, cut into thin strips
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- cilantro for garnish, minced
- about 12-15 medium sized bamboo skewers (soak the skewers for about 20 minutes before grilling so that they don't burn)
Peanut dip Directions:
- In medium pan, bring to medium heat. Add oil and garlic. Cook garlic until translucent.
- Add peanut butter, water, fish sauce, vinegar, and chili hot sauce. Gently combine the peanut butter and water mixture until smooth. Add additional water if the dip is too thick, or add more peanut butter if dip is too watery.
- Simmer the dip for about 5 minutes, or until all the flavors are combined and the dip becomes the consistency that you want.(The dip will thicken some after it cools.)
- Allow to cool completely and serve with chicken satay skewers. (The dip can be made a day or two ahead of time).
Chicken Satay Skewers Directions:
- Make the marinade: In bowl or large plastic bag, combine vegetable oil, minced garlic, fish sauce, curry powder, brown sugar, black pepper and distilled white vinegar. Make sure all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add chicken strips to the marinade, making sure all chicken pieces are coated evenly. Allow chicken to marinade for about 20 minutes.
- Skewer chicken pieces onto bamboo skewers.
- On lightly oiled grill pan, heat to medium heat. Cook chicken skewers for about 10 minutes, or until one side is cooked. Then flip chicken over and cook on other side until cooked.
- Garnish with minced cilantro.
- Serve with peanut dip.