Crunchy Asian Fried Chicken with Garlic Chili Sauce
Asian Fried Chicken Recipe
Beware, this Asian fried chicken recipe is super crunchy, sticky, savory and addicting! It’s one of those fried chicken recipes that leaves your hands sticky with a flavorful sauce and craving for more drumsticks. Dredged in flour and fried to a crunchy exterior, these pieces of fried chicken have a wonderful flour and egg crust. After taking them out of the fryer, make sure to let the fried chicken cool because you’ll be anxious to want to take a bite too quickly. Don’t burn your tongue! The homemade chili garlic sauce is amazing! To adapt to making this recipe gluten free, simply dredge in rice flour. You can also use crushed gluten free cereal flakes if you want, but just make sure to adjust cooking times so that the gluten free crust doesn’t burn. The texture and crunch of the cereal flakes is also outstanding and amazing because it’s coated with crushed cereal flakes. Super Easy!
Watch the Video!
How to make Asian Chicken Sauce Recipe
This is for anyone who love Asian flavors! The homemade Asian chili garlic sauce that is poured over the fried chicken is the star of the recipe. The sauce is flavored with crisp garlic, onions and sriracha hot sauce, or any hot sauce of your choice. If your eaters prefer not to have a spicy fried chicken, then simply use less or omit the sriracha. But if you do this, remember to add about another Tablespoon of rice vinegar or ketchup to keep the sauce for fried chicken recipe a consistent thickness. If you make this recipe please share with us in the comments or share your photo with us on Facebook or Instagram! We’d love to see your delicious photos. Thanks so much friends and happy cooking and eating!
Asian Fried Chicken Recipe w/ Garlic Chili Sauce
FOR THE GARLIC CHILI SAUCE
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large (1 large) shallot , minced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) fish sauce (or soy sauce, but fish sauce tastes better!)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) ketchup
- 1-2 Tablespoons (15 ml) Sriracha or chili hot sauce , or to taste
FOR THE FRIED CHICKEN
- 2 pounds (910 g) chicken drumsticks or thighs, patted dry
- 4-5 large eggs
- 3 cups (375 g) all-purpose flour (for gluten free option use rice flour)
- oil for frying the chicken
Make the sauce:
- In medium sauce pan, heat and add oil. Then add garlic and shallots, cook until translucent or slightly crisp, but do not burn these aromatics. Add fish sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup and hot sauce. Stir ingredients to combine well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce for about 3 minutes. Then remove sauce from heat. If you don't want a thick sauce, add water, one tablespoon at a time to your desired consistency
For the fried chicken:
- In large bowl, beat eggs. In another large bowl add the flour.
- Dredge the chicken: first in flour, shake off excess flour. Then dredge in egg, then another coat of flour. Shake off excess flour. Set coated chicken pieces aside on a wire rack until ready to fry.
- In large pot or frying pan, fill oil to about 1 inch high. Heat oil to about 350°F.
- Fry chicken in batches to not overcrowd the pan, carefully place chicken into hot oil and fry on both sides till crispy and cooked, ten to fifteen minutes on each side. Do not cook on too high of heat because the chicken will finish cooking on the outside and not be cooked completely inside.
- Add garlic chili sauce to large bowl and toss with fried chicken to coat well. Serve hot.