The best thing about Thai soups are that they have a combination of spicy hot and sour flavors. It’s exciting on the palate to taste both the hot of chiles and the sour of lime juice. The contrast of spice and bright citrus makes this a great hot and sour chicken soup recipe. And best of all, it’s a very easy chicken soup recipe with Asian inspired flavors to make ahead of time. The flavors actually taste better the next day after they’ve been able to settle in. When you re-heat it up, just add more fresh lime juice, fish sauce or chili peppers to amp up your favorite flavors. This Thai chicken soup recipe is perfect to adjust to your personal taste and level of hot and sour.
Serve this hot and sour Thai chicken soup with rice or a side of noodles. To make this meal for chicken soup healthy, you can use chicken breast. But chicken dark meat adds extra flavor and depth to the soup base. The recipe also uses leftover chicken and it’s perfect to make when you have leftover chicken from roast chicken. If you want to use cooked chicken breast, then here’s recipes for poached chicken or oven baked chicken . If you want to use raw chicken, then just cut up the chicken breast or thigh meat into bite sized pieces and cook them before you add the broth and the rest of the recipe that follows.
Hot and Sour Thai Chicken Soup Recipe
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 1 hour
Please read post for more recipe details
- 1/2 pound cooked leftover shredded chicken breast or chicken thigh meat (here's recipes for poached chicken or oven baked chicken)
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, grated or finely minced
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock (here's a link for homemade chicken stock)
- 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf, smashed
- Fresh lemongrass stalk, about 2" long and smashed
- 1 fresh thai chili or more to taste, minced
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- fresh chopped cilantro for garnish
- In heated pot, add oil and onions and garlic. Cook till translucent.
- Add cooked chicken, ginger and fish sauce. Stir and cook for about 1 minute. Add chicken stock, Kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass stalk and chili pepper.
- Bring to boil, then add sliced bell pepper, fresh tomato. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes, then remove from heat. Add the fresh lime juice right before serving.
- Different brands of fish sauce have different levels of saltiness, so adjust accordingly. Taste the broth and if you want the soup more salty, add more fish sauce. Or add more water to make it less salty.
- If you want the soup more spicy, add more chili peppers and if you want it more sour, add more fresh lime juice.
- Adjust the soup to your personal taste. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy!