This satisfying and easy chicken curry recipe has many of the same wonderful flavors of Asian or Thai chicken curry. Hearty root vegetables such as carrots and potatoes are included, but you an add different variations on the veggies. Bell peppers, egg plant, broccoli or cauliflower are also great additions to this curried chicken recipe. You just need to adjust cooking times to the vegetables that you are using so that they can all cook evenly. For example, this recipe for chicken curry used all firm root vegetables so their cooking times are consistent. Broccoli and cauliflower are similar in texture, so pairing these two in this curry recipe would be ideal
Watch the video making the easy and fantastic Chicken Curry with Vegetables:
Curried chicken recipes also vary in spice, so making this version spicy is as simple as adding some fresh chopped chili peppers to your liking. Using spicy curry powder is also an option for additional heat and the balance of the soothing coconut milk makes this dish fantastic. Using boneless skinless chicken breasts makes it healthy and if you want more flavor, you can use boneless chicken thighs. It’s an easy chicken curry recipe that you can make ahead of time because the flavors actually taste better the next day. And it’s the perfect and simple weeknight dinner of chicken curry!
Another option is using tofu instead of curry to make it a vegan recipe. Coconut milk is vegan and instead of using fish sauce, just use the soy sauce. Overall, there’s something for everyone in this awesome curry recipe. It’s also perfect on a super cold winter day when you’ve eaten a ton of soup and want something warm, comforting and full of flavor!
This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2017 with new images and video!
Chicken Curry Recipe with Vegetables
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 30 minutes
See post for more recipe details. Cooking times for the potatoes and chicken will vary depending on how large of pieces they are cut into and how cold they are when added to the curry. Use what ever curry powder is your favorite. Here's one of our favorites: Curry Powder.
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) curry powder
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) cayenne
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) fish sauce or soy sauce, to personal taste
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (120ml) canned unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream
- 1/4 pound (113g) potatoes, peeled & cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound (455g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) chopped green onions
- Fresh chopped chili peppers (optional), for a spicy curry
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Heat large saucepan to moderate heat. Add vegetable oil. Once oil is heated, add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent.
- Add fresh ginger, curry powder, ground cumin, cayenne and fish sauce (or soy sauce). Stir until combined well.
- Add stock and coconut milk. Stir briskly, but gently until everything is combined well.
- Add potatoes and carrots and bring to a simmer, then lower heat and cover until potatoes are almost tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and bring to simmer until chicken is completely cooked, about 10 minutes.
- Add green onions, fresh black pepper and additional salt to taste.
- Serve warm with rice or noodles.