This satisfying chicken curry recipe has many of the same wonderful flavors of Asian or Thai chicken curry. Hearty root vegetables such as carrots and potatoes are included, but you an add different variations on the veggies. Bell peppers, egg plant, broccoli or cauliflower are also great additions to this curried chicken recipe. You just need to adjust cooking times to the vegetables that you are using so that they can all cook evenly. For example, this recipe for chicken curry used all firm root vegetables so their cooking times are consistent. Broccoli and cauliflower are similar in texture, so pairing these two in this curry recipe would be ideal.
Curried chicken recipes also vary in spice, so making this version spicy is as simple as adding some fresh chopped chili peppers to your liking. Using spicy curry powder is also an option for additional heat and the balance of the soothing coconut milk makes this dish fantastic. Using boneless skinless chicken breasts makes it healthy and if you want more flavor, you can use boneless chicken thighs. It’s an easy chicken curry recipe that you can make ahead of time because the flavors actually taste better the next day. And it’s the perfect and simple weeknight dinner of chicken curry!
Chicken Curry Recipe with Vegetables
Yield: Serves 4-6
Total Time: 1 hour
See post for more recipe details.
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, small chop
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce or soy sauce, to personal taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk or heavy cream
- 1/4 pound potatoes, peeled & cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions
- Fresh chopped chili peppers (optional), for a spicy curry
- fresh black pepper to taste
- Heat large saucepan to moderate heat. Add vegetable oil. Once oil is heated, add onions and garlic. Cook till translucent.
- Add fresh ginger, curry powder, ground cumin, cayenne and fish sauce (or soy sauce). Stir till combined well.
- Add stock and coconut milk. Stir briskly, but gently till all everything is combined well.
- Add potatoes and carrots and bring to a simmer, then lower heat and cover till potatoes are almost tender.
- Add chicken and bring to simmer till chicken is completely cooked.
- Add green onions, fresh black pepper and additional salt to taste.
- Serve warm with rice or noodles.