Grilled Shrimp Cocktail with Homemade Cocktail Sauce
Best Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
If you’re obsessed with grilling like we are & love shrimp then you’re going to love this appetizer! The flavor of grilled shrimp are amazing and we think is way better than boiling the shrimp. The char and texture of grilled shrimp is awesome and when dipped in the cocktail sauce, the combination is outstanding! After serving grilled shrimp cocktail at parties, everyone agrees that it’s their favorite easy shrimp cocktail recipe method. Sure, the traditional way is boiling the shrimp, but when compared to grilling, the grilled version is a game changer!
Video: Shrimp Cocktail meets the Barbi!
Perfect for Tailgating & Game Day!
Wow, this is so good and easy to make for tailgating. There’s no reason to not enjoy this at your next tailgating gathering. Just prep the raw shrimp and cocktail sauce head of time. At your tailgating party, just grill the shrimp and serve it up with the cocktail sauce! It’s that easy and you just might want to make a double batch because it’s SO GOOD. So if you’re grilling some hot dogs, steaks or burgers, throw a few large shrimp on the bbq and you’ll have an instant appetizer to share. The cocktail sauce can totally be made ahead of time, so it’s an easy peasy dish to share with all your friends. Make sure to cook a double batch because it’s super good. Everyone will devour these quick.
This recipe was originally shared in 2019 and re-published in 2020 with updated video.
Grilled Shrimp Cocktail
- 1 pound (454 g) large raw shrimp , deveined and shells removed
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) oil , to coat shrimp + extra for grill grates
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
Shrimp Cocktail Sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) ketchup
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt , or to taste
- black pepper to taste
- fresh lemon slices
- 1 (1 ) small cucumber , sliced (optional)
- fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
- Make the Shrimp Cocktail Sauce: In medium bowl, combine ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, fresh lemon juice, celery seeds, garlic powder, salt and black pepper. Stir until well combined then set aside.
- Grill the Shrimp: Heat grill the grill on medium-high heat or light and set the coals for direct heat grilling.
- Rinse and pat dry the shrimp. Coat the shrimp with oil, and then season with salt and pepper.
- When grill is hot, scrape the grill grates clean. Spray paper towel with generous amount of vegetable oil and wipe the grill grates with the oil.
- Grill the shrimp for about 2-4 minutes per side, or until slightly charred, pink, and just cooked through.
- Serve with the cocktail sauce.
Here’s more great tailgating recipes for you to enjoy during game day season ! If you make this recipe, please share with us on our social media Facebook and Instagram pages! We love seeing your delicious creations and being able to share that with our food community. Thanks so much Friends, and happy cooking and eating to you and your family.