This easy chicken chili recipe is one of those year round dishes that we rarely ever get tired of. When the weather is cold, a warm bowl of chili always satisfies a hearty appetite. For summer parties or football game days, variations on our chili rocks the menu: chicken chili quesadillas, chicken chili nachos and chicken chili cheese fries. This recipe is one of those dishes which taste better the next day and is a rock star leftover dish that always keeps on giving. Don’t you love dishes like chili which can be re-purposed in many different ways and you can never get tired of it? This is why we adore this fresh and healthy chili recipe so much.
Watch the recipe video for Fresh & Healthy Chicken Chili
We love our fresh chicken chili version because it’s full of fresh vegetables, flavor and texture. Our goal was to create a quick and easy chicken chili recipe that used as many fresh ingredients as possible, but without sacrificing the rich flavor of what makes chili so wonderful. Fresh chicken instead of leftover chicken, fresh tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, celery and spices are the base to both a healthy and tasty chili.
What makes this chicken chili recipe even healthier is using chicken white breast meat. But please feel free to use what ever cut of chicken you like and appreciate all the wonderful vegetables that make this so delicious. Using chicken thigh meat will add a deeper, richer chicken flavor if that’s what you’re craving.
If you want to splurge then definitely top off the bowls of chicken chili with some shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream! That will definitely take this chili to a new level of flavor and calories. Enjoy!
add additional water if you like or simmer chili on low to thicken it
Fresh & Healthy Chicken Chili
Yield: Serves 6
Total Time: 45 min
Make the consistency of the chili as thick as you want. Simmering the chili on low for 20-30 minutes will really bring out the flavors, but it will be on the thick side. So add additional water during the simmer to the thickness that you want.
- about 12 oz chicken breast or cutlets, cut into small bite sized pieces.
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, small dice
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 small bell peppers, small dice
- 2 medium stalks of celery, small dice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 large cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 oz tomato paste (about 1/2 of a 6 oz can)
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt, or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup of water
- Heat a large pan, add oil, minced onions and garlic. Cook until transluscent.
- Add chicken, cook until chicken it becomes white on the outside. Add fresh tomatoes, tomato paste, water, ground cumin, dried oregano, chili powder, paprika and salt. Stir to combine well, then allow to come to simmer. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add black beans, celery, and bell peppers. Stir to combine well. If it's too thick, add a little more water.
- Bring to a boil, then immediately lower heat and bring to a low simmer.
- Continue simmering the chili for about 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, for the flavors to combine.
- Keep cooking the chili till it becomes your desired consistency.