When we’re craving spaghetti but wanting something healthy and low carb alternative to pasta, baked spaghetti squash is always on the top of our list. This vegetable is incredible and not only is spaghetti squash easy to bake, it’s tender and makes the perfect dinner.
Some favorite toppings to add to baked spaghetti squash recipes is normally our favorite pasta sauce, maybe some grated cheese and it’s a low fat dinner recipe in less than one hour. But when we get our hands on some fresh tomatoes and basil, it’s another favorite way to whip up a healthy dinner.
If you’ve never baked spaghetti squash before, click here for a tutorial on how to bake spaghetti Squash.
Baked Spaghetti Squash with Tomatoes and Parmesan Cheese
Yield: Serves 3-4
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Please see post for more recipe details
- 1 whole spaghetti squash - click here for full baked spaghetti squash tutorial
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup (60g) coarsely grated Parmigiana Reggiano
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or more to taste
- fresh Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- Preheat Oven to 375°F. Oil a sheet pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and connecting strands, then place cut side down on the prepared sheet pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the squash flesh becomes tender and separates easily into strands with a fork. Finish by gently loosening and removing the "spaghetti strands" from the shells. Set aside.
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and then add onion and garlic.
- Cook until soft, stirring every 30 seconds, then add tomatoes. Cook tomatoes until tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add spaghetti squash strands and salt to the tomato mixture and continue cooking until the spaghetti squash is heated through (usually less than a minute.)
- Remove pan from heat. Gently fold in Parmigiana Reggiano cheese and fresh basil. Season with additional sea salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste (optional) Serve immediately.