Hash Brown Patty Casserole for Breakfast, Brunch
Easy Hash Brown Patty Casserole Recipe
We love hash brown breakfast casseroles! Our popular shredded hash brown casserole has been one of our best breakfast casserole recipes. This year we’re adding to our collection with an easy hash brown patty casserole version. This time, we’re layering the casserole with crispy hash brown patties instead of the shredded potatoes. The crispy patties are the perfect base and layers to our hearty morning breakfast casserole. You’ll love this version especially if you prefer crispy patties over shredded hash browns.
Video: Easy Hash Brown Patty Breakfast Casserole
How to Make Hash Brown Patties Crispy
The best part about this easy breakfast egg casserole is how simple it is to make. It’s much easier to make hash brown patties crispy than it is to crisp up the shredded hash brown potatoes. Just heat a cast iron pan with little oil, and fry both sides of the hash brown patties. This will just take a few minutes but adds an extra layer of texture and flavor to the breakfast casserole. It’s so good, you can always double the amount of hash brown patties for a more hearty meal.
- Heat your pan with a little oil. Lay the hash brown patties on the hot pan and cook until they are crisp. Flip and repeat on both sides.
- Remove the patties from the pan. Add the onion, sausage and veggies.
- Cook the sausage mix until browned. Layer the casserole with the hash browns, sausage mix, cheese and egg mix.
- You can also add or substitute with chopped ham, bacon bits or your favorite chopped kielbasa sausage.
- More recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Here’s our list of favorite patties to make for this recipe and for other breakfast dishes:
- Check out these cool low carb cauliflower patties!
- This is a lot, but it’s a great price if you can freeze these hash browns.
- Have you tried this corn beef hash before? It looks interesting with so many reviews.
More Awesome Breakfast Recipes Here:
Hash Brown Patty Casserole Bake
- 6 hash brown patties , thawed
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) oil , divided
- 1/2 onion , minced
- 1 bell pepper , seeded & diced
- 1/2 pound (227 g) uncooked breakfast sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) black pepper
- 1 cup (113 g) shredded cheddar cheese , divided
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven at 400°F (205°C).
- Heat large skillet on medium-high heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil and after oil is hot, cook hash brown for a few minutes on both sides so they’re crispy. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pan on medium-high heat add remaining 1 Tablespoon of oil. Add onions, bell peppers, and sausage. Break up sausage and add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook until sausage is browned. Set meat mixture aside.
- In a bowl, beat together the milk and eggs.
- Spray 9×9 pan with oil spray. Layer hash browns on bottom of pan. Cut the hash browns in half if needed to cover the bottom of the pan. It’s ok if they’re layered on top of each other.Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese on top of hash browns. Pour meat mixture on top of the cheese. Then pour the egg/milk mixture over the whole dish. Spread everything even. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake un-covered at 400°F (205°C) for about 20-25 minutes, or until the egg is set and cheese is browned on top. Allow to cool a bit before serving.