Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Nut Topping
Every Christmas or Thanksgiving Holiday menu should include a sweet potato casserole. There’s so many reasons to love about this casserole.
Best Thanksgiving Sweet Potato Casserole
This is a great sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Holidays or Sunday supper. The crunchy nut topping and the creamy sweet mashed sweet potatoes is always the best part. We can eat this every day because it’s got so much texture. It’s almost like a dessert in it’s own way. The sweetness of this casserole is really balanced and the nut topping added to the deliciousness.
Video of Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Make Ahead Holiday Casserole
Our Thanksgiving menu always has this great and easy recipe for sweet potato casserole. It truly can be made without much hassle. Best of all, his can be made ahead of time and then pulled out to bake the day you’re ready to serve it.
- Make and assemble the complete recipe in the casserole dish. Store in the fridge up to 2 days before baking.
- Take it out of the fridge to come to room temperature about 1-2 hours before baking. That way it can bake all the way through and you won’t have a cold center.
Fresh Sweet Potatoes vs Canned
If you don’t want to roast or boil fresh sweet potatoes , you can certainly used canned. Just make sure to adjust the sugar level. Canned sweet potatoes sometimes have syrup in them, making them sweet already. It’s a great side dish and like we mentioned, it’s even great as a dessert! Have some whipped cream on the side to make it extra special. Celebrate this sweet potato casserole in style!
Sweet Potato Casserole w/ Crunchy Nut Topping
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup (57 g) unsalted butter , melted (1/2 stick)
- 3 cups (400 g) mashed sweet potatoes (3 to 4 large potatoes; about 1 3/4 pounds) *see Note below recipe for mashed sweet potato instruction or use one 29 ounce can of sweet potatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (55 g) brown sugar , packed (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt
- 2 large (2 large) eggs
For the nut topping:
- 1/2 cup (62.5 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (110 g) brown sugar , packed
- 1/4 cup (56.75 g) unsalted butter , melted (1/2 stick)
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) kosher salt
- 1 cup (100 g) chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease a 2-quart baking dish.
- Make the filling: In large bowl, whisk together the butter, mashed sweet potatoes, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and the eggs. Pour the filling into the prepared baking dish.
- Make the topping: In medium bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt until the mixture becomes chunky and clumps together. Stir in the nuts.
- Layer the topping over the top of the sweet potatoes. Bake until the sweet potatoes are cooked in the center of the dish and the topping is golden, about 25 to 30 minutes.