Easy Oven Baked “Fried” Chicken
Our oven baked fried chicken recipe is crispy and flavorful without all the deep fried grease. It’s a family favorite that kids love too. Parents love it because it’s less greasy than traditional oil fried chicken.
Oven Baked Fried Chicken Recipe
It’s hard to pass up a great batch of fried chicken. But when you’re wanting something a little healthier without all the deep frying oil, then try this easy oven baked chicken recipe that results in a crust that is crispy and almost “fried”. Sometimes we can by-pass all the oil and making this oven baked fried chicken is much healthier and still have a nice crunch. The seasoned bread crumbs on the outside of the baked chicken provides plenty of flavor and texture, similar to fried chicken, but it’s baked in the oven for about 45 minutes. Add a side of healthy steamed vegetable and you have a hearty meal that’s less greasy and oily!
Video of this Baked Fried Chicken Recipe:
How to Cook Fried Chicken in Oven?
- When making this baked “fried” chicken, try to keep the sizes of the chicken pieces the same size, so that they will cook evenly.
- Baking times will vary depending on the size of the chicken drumsticks and thighs.
- To make sure the chicken is completely cooked on the inside, pierce it with a knife to make sure all the juices run clean. If you need to cook it further, then just cover the chicken with foil and bake it till it’s completely cooked.
- Add your favorite spices if you like. Different types of grilling rubs or spices are perfect marinades for the oven fried chicken recipe.
- You can even bake chicken wings with this technique and if you do, then just reduce your cooking time. Serve the baked chicken with your favorite salad or corn and your favorite bbq sauce or other dipping sauce.
This recipe was originally published in 2016 and was updated in 2021.
Easy Oven Baked "Fried" Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds (910g) chicken drumsticks and thighs (about 4-5 pieces)
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 3/4 cup (175ml) bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs (oregano, thyme, basil)
- Pre-heat oven to 425°F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Pat dry the chicken with paper towels. (optional) Season the outside of the chicken with additional salt.
- In large shallow bowl, beat the eggs with a fork until combined.In another large shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, paprika, fresh cracked black pepper and dried herbs.
- Coat chicken in bread crumbs, then shake off excess. Then dip chicken in egg and allow excess egg to drip off. Then gently lay the chicken in the bread crumbs again for one last coating. Shake off any excess bread crumbs. Repeat process till all chicken pieces are coated.
- Lay chicken on lined sheet pan. Bake for 30 minutes, or until topside crust becomes crispy golden brown. Then carefully flip the chicken pieces over. Bake for about 15 more minutes, or until all the juices run clean. You can pierce a knife into the chicken to make sure it's cooked all the way. If not, then cover the chicken with foil and cook until it's finished.
- Serve chicken with your favorite bbq sauce, ketchup or dipping sauce.
Nutrition Information per Serving
Here’s a video for a previous Crispy Asian Fried Chicken Recipe w/ Chili Garlic Sauce and a great keto pizza with a chicken crust. If you can’t get enough, here’s some more great baked chicken recipes from Epicurious.