Mississippi Mud Cake
Whoa, this chocolate Mississippi Mud Cake recipe is off-the-hook amazing, rich, decadent and delicious! Some folks call it a rocky road cake and sure, you can call it what you like.
Mississippi Mud Cake
Everyone in our test kitchen called it awesome! Rich and chocolate goodness! If anyone is craving chocolate cake, this one is right up their alley because it’s not only full of chocolate flavor, but also loaded with everything you would love about rocky road flavors. This is dessert comfort food at it’s best with every bite being memorable. It pairs wonderfully with a cold glass of milk.
Video of our amazing Mississippi Mud Cake aka Rocky Road Cake!
Tips for Sharing Mississippi Mud Cake
If you love rich decadent chocolate desserts, than this rocky road cake is wonderful after any meal. But it’s super perfect for Birthday parties, gatherings, game day or anytime you want to contribute a delicious chocolate dessert. This Mississippi mud cake is sure to make everyone smile with delight! This cake is rich and satisfying, you don’t need to make a double or triple batch unless you are feeding a ton of folks.
How to serve this cake
It’s definitely rich so start small. Just cut the cake into small bite sized pieces and everyone can grab a little bite. If they want more, they can grab a second or third piece. But this cake goes a long way and probably two pieces is plenty! One thing we love pairing with this cake is a nice cold glass of milk. Yup! Milk and Mississippi mud cake go perfect together.
And by the way, if you happen to have any extras left over, then try a small piece for breakfast with your coffee. It’s for real folks! This cake and coffee are another great pairing. So it’s a cake that’s good for morning, noon and night.
Mississippi Mud Cake - aka Rocky Road Cake
For the CAKE
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 225g) butter , melted
- 1/2 cup (120ml or 45g) cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml or 300g) sugar
- 4 large eggs , slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (360ml or 190g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (480ml) chopped roasted pecans , walnuts or your favorite nuts
- 10 ounces (about 4 cups or 283g) mini marshmallows
- extra chopped nuts for topping (optional)
- flakey sea salt , for topping (optional)
- 1 lb. (3 3/4 cups or 455g) powdered sugar , sifted
- 1/2 cup (120ml) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon (3m) vanilla
- 1/3 cup (80ml) cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (60g) butter , softened
- additional milk (optional, for thinning out the frosting)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 9x13 inch baking pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray
- Make the cake: In a large mixing bowl whisk together the melted butter and 1/2 cup of cocoa powder until well combined. Mix in sugar, eggs and vanilla until blended. Stir in flour and salt.Stir in the nuts. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes, make the chocolate topping: Beat together the powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, 1/3 cup cocoa powder, and softened butter until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the cake from oven and sprinkle with marshmallows. Return to the oven and bake for 3 minutes. The marshmallows will soften and begin to melt.
- Directly after removing cake with marshmallows from oven, dollop the chocolate topping in small mounds over the cake. Gently swirl together the softened marshmallows and chocolate topping. Sprinkle with optional additional nuts and flakey salt. Allow to cool completely then serve. Enjoy!