30 minute Manhattan Clam Chowder
This is a great manhattan clam chowder recipe that is quick, easy and complete within 30 minutes on the stove-top. If you’re craving a comforting clam soup, this will definitely satisfy your craving.
Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
We love clam chowder and can’t get enough of it. Whether it’s a recipe for a creamy New England clam chowder or this tomato based Manhattan clam chowder, we’ll eat the whole pot with a crusty loaf of bread. So what’s the difference between the two most common clam chowders? Manhattan clam chowder is tomato based with a clear broth. New England clam chowder is cream or milk based.
There’s definitely two different types of clam chowders and everyone had their favorite version. The most popular is the cream based New England clam chowder, but very once in a while when you’re still craving a clam soup that’s no so rich, this tomato based version will definitely hit the spot!
You can make this clam chowder more vegetable based by adding zucchini, spinach, broccoli or just more of the carrots and potatoes. What ever you decide to add, what you’ll get is a fantastic pot of soup to keep you warm during the cold days. If you’re still craving more clam chowder, here’s the best clam chowder that’s New England style!
Watch the video on making the Manhattan Clam Chowder:
You’ll love this so much that it’ll be your go-to soup recipe the you’re craving seafood. Another fun idea is to add some shrimp or salmon. It’ll be a hearty seafood chowder that will satisfy anyone who loves a comforting seafood dish.
This recipe was originally published in 2014 and re-published in September 2016 with a new video!
Manhattan Clam Chowder Recipe
- 4 slices bacon , cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion , minced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 stalks celery , diced
- 1 large carrot , diced
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Old Bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves or thyme
- 2 medium potatoes , peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (120ml) water
- 1/2 cup (120ml) dry white wine
- 8 ounces (236ml) bottle of clam juice
- 2 (6.5 oz - 184g each) cans of minced clams , drained but save the juices
- 1 (14.5 oz - 411g) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt , or to taste
- Minced parsley for garnish (optional)
- Heat medium soup pot over medium-high heat. Once hot, fry the bacon until the fat releases and the bacon becomes crisp. Add the onion, garlic, celery and carrot and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion becomes soft and garlic becomes fragrant, but not burnt.
- Add the Old Bay Seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, potatoes, water, white wine, bottle of clam juice, juice from the 2 cans of clams (but not the clams yet), diced tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Bring the chowder to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low. Simmer chowder on low heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Now add the clams to the chowder. Carefully mash a few of the potatoes in the pot to create a slightly thicker, chowder consistency to the soup.
- Simmer for about 10 more minutes. If needed, skim off any excess oil on top of soup that was released from the bacon.Serve with your favorite bread or for gluten free, serve with gluten free crackers/bread.
You’ll love these other great Soup Recipes