Fried Brown Rice Recipe
We love our fried rice, especially a vegetable fried rice that’s healthier because we can eat more and not feel so guilty! Our healthy fried rice recipe is loaded with broccoli and other vegetables. To make it even healthier, we’ve created this recipe using brown rice. Nutritionally, brown rice has more vitamins and nutrients than white rice so making a fried rice recipe with brown rice is just as easy and delicious. You can use any type of brown rice or you can even use wild rice if you like. Just make sure to use day old rice because it gives a better fried rice texture. Fresh rice is usually soft and more tender, which often can make a mushy fried rice. So the more firm and cold cooked rice you have, the better the fried rice will become.
Video: Fried Brown Rice w/ Broccoli & Vegetables:
Load it with Vegetables!
As far as vegetables, you can use what ever you like. We added broccoli but you can even add more broccoli if you like. What ever you decide to add, just make sure to add plenty of vegetables because that’s what makes this brown fried rice recipe super delicious. Everyone loves a big bowl so it’s even healthier to have it loaded with as many vegetables as you can serve up.
Healthy Brown Fried Rice with Broccoli and Vegetables
- 3 cups (loosely packed) (710ml) day-old cooked brown rice (The rice kernels should be firm, separated and cold so that they won't stick together)
- 2-3 Tablespoons (30-45ml) cooking oil
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large carrot , diced
- 1 cup (240ml) broccoli , cut into small florets
- 1/2 cup (120ml) sliced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) soy sauce (or fish sauce) For Gluten Free use Tamari
- 1 egg
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Add the oil and then once oil is hot, add onions and garlic. Cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Add carrots, cook for about 2 minute or until carrots become slightly softened. Then add broccoli, celery, salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Add brown rice and cook and stir rice for about 2 minutes until it becomes hot. Add soy sauce or fish sauce and egg. Gently break up the egg in the rice, and mix egg in rice until it combines well into rice.
- Continue cooking for about 3-4 more minutes until rice, egg and vegetables are fully combined and cooked.
- Serve hot.
Other Fried Rice Recipes:
Have you tried our cauliflower “fried rice” recipe yet? If not, you should! It’s 100% cauliflower so there’s no rice. The cauliflower is chopped small to replace the “rice”. It’s one of our most popular recipe so give it a try when you’re craving fried rice but are looking for a super low carb option.
Here’s our absolutely delicious bacon lovers fried rice recipe
Our chicken pineapple fried rice recipe is a reader favorite!
This recipe was originally published in 2017 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
Here’s more healthy asian recipes.