Low Carb Cucumber Tuna Subs without Bread
Cucumber tuna subs are a fun and healthy way to eat two of our favorite ingredients. You can eat them as “open faced” cucumber tuna sub sandwiches or cut them into small bites as appetizers!
Are these cucumber tuna subs actually a sandwich or a stuffed cucumber salad? It can be what ever you want! What we do know is that it’s a low carb and healthy way to enjoy tuna and cucumber without all the starch and no bread! These low carb sub “sandwiches” are all the rage now and we have so many different versions to share with you later. It’s a great way to switch things up and going beyond the carb-loaded sandwich breads. These are a great way to get your favorite tuna protein and refreshing cucumber for the “bread” part and still have a delicious lunch that won’t put you to sleep. In fact, it truly is energizing and refreshing to eat tuna in this way. As always, Mom’s tuna salad recipe is the one we used here for this cucumber tuna sub recipe and it was a hit in the test kitchen. Everyone enjoyed each bite and seriously, no one missed the bread! Add a nice squirt of mustard on the inside of the cucumber before you fill it with tuna for an extra tang of flavor. Consider adding some alfalfa sprouts and take this recipe for these low carb bites over the top! And one last thing, if you can splurge a few more calories, don’t forget the potato chips! Click Here for More—> Great Salad Recipes and Delicious Sandwich Recipes.
Watch our Video for Cucumber Tuna Subs!
Cucumber Tuna Sub
- 10 ounces (285 g) tuna drained (2 cans)
- 1/4 cup (56 g) mayonnaise , or more depending on how creamy you want it to be
- 1 (1 ) large stalk celery , diced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) sweet relish or diced dill pickles
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) minced red onion
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) mustard
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) minced parsley
- salt , to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried dill , or 1 teaspoon (5ml minced fresh dill) - (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) hot sauce or Sriracha sauce - optional
- freshly squeezed lemon juice to taste - (optional)
- 3-4 Cucumbers
Make Tuna Mixture:
- Add drained tuna to bowl and gently break up large chunks. Add mayonnaise, celery, relish or pickles, red onion, mustard, parsley, salt, pepper and/or optional dill, hot sauce, and lemon juiceGently stir everything together and chill in the fridge.
Make Cucumber Tuna Sub:
- Peel the cucumbers. Cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, gently scoop out all the seeds.
- Fill the tuna mixture in the middle of each hollowed out cucumber. Lay two cucumber halves together to form the cucumber log and cut into bite size pieces. For storing, just wrap each cucumber log with plastic wrap and take into work for lunch!
Click Here for our popular and viral—> Avocado Tuna Salad Recipe
Click Here for more—> Yummy Vegetable Recipes
Click Here for more—> Fantastic Seafood Recipes