Easy Chocolate Peppermint Bark Recipe
Chocolate peppermint bark is one of the best food gifts to share during Christmas. Best of all, Santa would love these! It has plenty of chocolate for Santa. You can choose either milk chocolate or dark chocolate morsels to melt. Then it’s topped with white chocolate and crushed peppermint candy. That’s why it’s super popular and loved by everyone during Christmas.
Video: Chocolate Peppermint Bark – For those on your Naughty/Nice Lists:
Milk or Dark Chocolate Bark?
You can just use one layer of chocolate if you like. So if you’re only wanting the milk or dark chocolate, then just top it with the crushed peppermint candy as soon as you spread the chocolate layer. Or if you’re just a fan of white chocolate, you can just do one layer too. But you want the full bite of two layers of chocolate, then go for the gusto and make it the double layer of bark-love.
Using the peppermint extract is also optional. It adds a wonderful extra flavor of peppermint and our test kitchen loved the heightened layer of chocolate peppermint flavor. We’re pretty certain Santa would love this version too and make sure to leave him an extra little box to take to Mrs. Santa.
Happy Holidays everyone and hope you enjoy making a ton of this peppermint bark for all your friends and loved ones!
Chocolate Peppermint Bark
- 2 cups (12 ounces or 340g) chocolate chips or chopped chunks
- 2 cups (12 ounces or 340g) white chocolate chips or chopped chunks
- 1/2 cup (120ml) crushed peppermint candy or candy canes (about 4 candy canes worth)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) peppermint extract (optional)
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. Tip: to keep the paper from moving on the baking sheet, dot a bit of the melted chocolate in each corner of the baking sheet to secure the paper.
- Place the chocolate chips in a large microwave safe bowl. Microwave the chocolate chips on High in increments of about 20 seconds, stirring well in between microwave sessions. Keep stirring until all the chocolate chips are melted and smooth. Don’t overheat the chocolate.
- Pour and then spread the melted chocolate evenly over the parchment paper. Chill the chocolate layer in the fridge for about 20-30 minutes, or until the chocolate is firm.
- Place the white chocolate and optional peppermint extract in a large microwave safe bowl. Repeat the same melting procedure for the white chocolate (again make sure to stir well in-between microwave sessions and being careful not to overheat the white chocolate). When white chocolate is melted, pour and gently spread it over the chocolate mixture and then immediately sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top. Gently press the peppermint candy into the white chocolate.
- Return the pan to the fridge and chill for another 30 minutes, or until the bark is completely solid.
- Gently loosen the peppermint bark from the parchment. Before breaking the bark, allow the bark to come to room temperature. This will allow the layers to bond together better so that when you break the bark, the layers don’t separate.Break the bark into pieces and enjoy!