Chicken breast recipes don’t have to be dry and flavorless. Take for instance, techniques on how to cook chicken breast in different ways to ensure that they still stay moist and with their juices intact. We set out to make a healthy chicken taco that still used chicken breast, but with lots of flavor, color and texture. The reason why these chicken tacos are so easy, quick and moist is behind the technique of pan-searing the chicken breast with a touch of oil. Within about 10 minutes, we had a wonderfully juicy and hot chicken breast to shred and make these easy tacos.
We’ve offered different techniques on how to cook chicken breast from poaching (click for recipe), to oven baked breasts (click for recipe). Any of these these techniques can be applied for these chicken tacos, but if you’re wanting chicken with a crisper texture on the outside, these use the technique we have shared below for pan-searing the chicken. As far as the taco assembly goes, we’ve added cilantro, a mix of arugula greens and bright purple cabbage for more color but you can add your variation on fillings. Our cheese of choice was gruyere but again, add what ever cheese you like to make these chicken tacos your own. Finally, makes sure to add some sides like fresh tomato salsa or guacamole.
Pan Seared Chicken Breast Tacos
Yield: Serves 3-4
Total Time: 15 min
See post for more recipe details and for alternate chicken breast cooking methods.
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- 1 cup sliced Cabbage
- 4-5 sprigs Cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh Lime Juice
- Baby Arugula
- flour or corn tortillas
- Serve with desired additional toppings - cheese, sour cream, Salsa (click for recipe), Guacamole (click for recipe), Mango Salsa (click for recipe)
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken breasts. Wrap chicken breasts between a couple layers of plastic wrap. Pound chicken down to an even 1/2" thickness with a flat sided meat tenderizer.
- Unwrap chicken then season it with salt and pepper. Heat a large pan over medium high heat.
- Add oil to pan and after it heats, add chicken. Cook each side 3-4 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and allow to rest 5-10 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss together the cabbage, cilantro, and lime juice. Set aside.
- If desired, char tortillas two at a time over a cook top gas flame, rotating frequently. Otherwise warm tortillas in microwave to soften.
- Slice chicken into strips, place in tortillas and top with cabbage mixture, arugula, and any other desired toppings.