Zucchini Noodle Chow Mein
Zucchini noodle chow mein is a great way to eat low carb when you’re craving Chinese chow mein noodles.
Healthy Recipe for Zucchini Noodle Chow Mein
Ditch the take-out when you’re craving chow mien for dinner, especially when you’re looking to eat lighter and low carb. The most easy and delicious answer to these cravings is to make homemade chow mein made with low carb and much healthier zucchini noodles. Zucchini noodle chow mein is a great way to eat healthier when you’re craving Chinese Food. Instead of satisfying that chow mien craving with starchy noodles, zucchini noodles are a great replacement and you can barely tell the difference.
Tips for Making Low Carb Zucchini Noodles
- Having a great Spiralizer is super helpful if you’re wanting to make a big batch. This Spiralizer is great –> Vegetable Spiralizer
- You can use zucchini, yellow summer squash or crookneck squash. But if you’re using crookneck squash you won’t be able to sprialize the curved tip, which can be wasteful. Our preference is using zucchini or a summer squash that is straight, which maximizes the length of the zucchini noodle.
- Add extra vegetables if you want like broccoli, cauliflower or green beans.
- If you have a favorite bottle of sauce you can use that! It makes the recipe quicker and easier.
- Don’t overcook the zucchini noodles or else they will be mush. Cook the zucchini noodles just enough to become tender. As they sit in the hot pan, they’ll continue to cook and become soft. So it’s best to eat the noodle right away.
Video: Zucchini Noodle Chow Mein Recipe
What you do experience is a wonderful and flavorful bowl of noodles that are made from strands of spiralized zucchini. Loaded with flavor and crunchy, colorful veggies, eating lighter and low carb doesn’t get more delicious than this! This zucchini noodle chow mein recipe is so easy to make, you’ll wonder why you didn’t find out about it sooner. We’re obsessed with zucchini noodle recipes and this version of zucchini noodle chow mien will be on your list as a go-to easy and healthy recipe.
Easy Zucchini Noodle Chow Mein Zoodles
Give it a try and you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how delicious this is! Zucchini noodles are also called Zoodles, so if you’re searching for recipes online just search Zoodle Recipes and you’ll have a whole new world of fun recipes for zucchini noodles to explore and eat! You might not ever return to the starchy egg noodles again!
Click here for all our delicious –> Zucchini Noodle Recipes.
Best Spiralizing Tools for Zucchini Noodles:
Nothing beats tried and true kitchen tools and cookbooks. Here’s some of the favorites:
Paderno Spiralizer – The Classic! We’ve lost track of how many meals this one has made for us. Fantastic spiralizer.
KitchenAid Spiralizer Attachment – Spiralize, peel, core, slice. All from the power of the KitchenAid stand mixer.
OXO Julienne Peeler – For those who love it simple. This great julienne peeler has seen a lot of mileage in our kitchen
Zucchini Noodles Chow Mein
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce or low sodium soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free)
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) rice vinegar (or distilled white vinegar)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) oyster sauce or hoisin for vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil , grapeseed oil or any cooking oil
- 1 small onion , diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 red bell pepper , thin sliced
- 1 large carrot , julienned
- 1 cup (90 g) sliced red cabbage
- kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro (optional)
- chili garlic sauce , sriracha or hot sauce (optional)
- Make the sauce: In medium bowl combine soy sauce, vinegar, and oyster sauce (or hoisin). Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium high heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until soft.
- Add red bell pepper, carrot and red cabbage. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the zucchini noodles and the sauce. Stir everything in the pan until coated and continue cooking until zucchini noodles are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro, serve with optional chili garlic sauce or hot sauce.
More Zucchini Noodle Recipes
- Click Here for –> Zucchini Noodles with Garlic, Butter and Parmesan Recipe
- Popular –> Pad Thai Zucchini Noodles Recipe
- Kids LOVE –> Creamy Garlic Alfredo Chicken Zoodles Recipe
- Always healthy —> Delicious Italian Zucchini Noodles
- top 10 zucchini recipes
- This recipe was originally published in 2017.