Amazing 3 Cheese Mashed Potato Bake
Easy Mashed Potato Bake
Once you taste this mashed potato bake you’ll have another favorite casserole recipe to make for holidays or when you’re craving something warm and cheesy! It’s the perfect mashed potato recipe to take to potlucks, parties and of course, your holiday feasting tables. This is easily one of our favorite test kitchen recipes. Everyone devoured a big bowl full and it’s dangerously delicious because it goes down so easy. Actually it goes down way too easy so you’ll have to make sure you establish some portion control.
Video: Best Recipe for This Casserole Bake
First of all, it starts with a creamy mashed potato and we’ve fulfilled that by adding sour cream, milk and butter. Of course, you can add more butter if you want. All of the different type of potatoes will give a different texture to the mashed potato bake. Russets are the classic type of potato to use. Our test kitchen favorite is the yukon gold potatoes because they’re creamy. But we’re not picky. We love russets and this recipe is delicious with either!
Best Cheeses for Potato Bakes
Second, you can pretty much add what ever cheese you like. We chose 3 cheeses because it’s a great combination of flavors and textures. Pretty much any cheese can taste great. We love parmesan for the aged flavor, the mozzarella for the great melt and a cheddar mix for extra flavor and saltiness. But what makes it extra special is the bread crumb topping. The added texture on top makes these potatoes delicious.
Another great feature about this recipe for mashed potato casserole is that you can make it ahead of time. It can be made one day ahead, then brought to room temperature then baked. If you bake it straight from fridge to oven, it’ll take more time to heat through and melt the cheese. What ever you do, make sure to make double because it’s so delicious, it’s like a main course in itself. Don’t forget a great glass of wine and you’re ready to go for dinner!
This recipe was originally published in 2016 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.
3-Cheese Mashed Potato Bake
- Butter or cooking spray
- 4 pounds (1.8 kg) potatoes (Russet or gold potatoes preferred)
- 1/2 cup (115 g) sour cream
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk
- 1/4 cup (57 g) butter , melted (1/2 stick)
- 1 cup (113 g) shredded cheddar cheese or other mix
- 1 cup (112 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (100 g) shredded Parmesan , divided
- Kosher salt , to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup (54 g) plain bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease 9" x 13" with butter or cooking spray.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch pieces. Cook the potatoes in a large pot of well salted boiling water until they are soft and tender, about 10-15 minutes depending on the size and type of potato.
- Drain the potatoes and place in a large bowl or back into the same pot. Add sour cream, milk and melted butter. Mash the potatoes to your desired texture.
- Mix in the cheese, reserving about 1/4 cup of the parmesan for topping. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese and bread crumbs over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, until the cheese/bread crumb topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Here’s more side dish recipes for you to enjoy!