A favorite family dinner is our buttermilk fried chicken with mushroom gravy recipe. Add a side of mashed potatoes and we’re obsessed. Kids LOVE this dinner!
Easy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
It all started when we were obsessed with our crispy buttermilk fried chicken sandwiches and our love of mushroom gravy and mushroom sauces. It’s hard to not appreciate juicy, crispy fried chicken and gravies that can coat each single bite. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm! So after so many fried chicken and mushroom gravy recipes on our food website we realized that we didn’t have an recipe just for buttermilk fried chicken! Now it’s time to isolate the this fried chicken and mushroom gravy recipe so just two things we love so much are in one complete recipe. Juicy and crispy buttermilk fried chicken is super simple to make and versatile too. You can add this fried chicken in a sandwich, on pasta, on a salad or like we did, lathered with yummy mushroom gravy. The flavors are fantastic and everyone loves this so much, especially kids.
Video: Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Mushroom Gravy Recipe:
Best Crispy Buttermilk Fried Chicken Recipe
Make sure to be ready for a double batch because the buttermilk fried chicken is so good, it’s hard to not snack and eat all the fried chicken before it’s served on the table. Seriously, we tried super hard to keep enough of the buttermilk fried chicken on the table but it’s impossible to not let everyone sneak in at least a small piece for themselves. The mushroom gravy is flavorful, earthy and loaded with chunks of yummy mushrooms. If you’re not a fan of mushrooms, you can definitely make a simple gravy without the mushrooms or try our popular caramelized mushroom gravy recipe here! Enjoy our fried chicken with mushroom gravy recipe!
Our popular–> Awesome Chicken Recipes
All our Recipes with Mushrooms:
Here’s all our–> Yummy Appetizer Recipes
Here’s a great orange chicken recipe for ya!
Check out a Few of our Favorite Frying Tools:
It’s Fried Chicken Time! Here’s a couple tools which make frying awesome, plus a cool cookbook:
Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
For the Buttermilk Fried Chicken:
- 2 pounds (907. g) chicken breasts , (approximately) cut in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup (180 g) buttermilk , for soaking
- 1 cup (125 g) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme leaves or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) cayenne
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) buttermilk , for the batter
- Oil for frying
Make the buttermilk fried chicken:
- Pat dry chicken breasts. Soak chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 30 minutes in fridge.
- While chicken is soaking, combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme or oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons of buttermilk and mix together, breaking up the big clumps. The flour mixture will clumpy but should still be dry-ish. The clumps will create a great texture during frying.
- Heat skillet with about 1/2 inch high of frying oil. Heat oil to 375°F.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk soak and dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure to coat the chicken completely. Shake off excess flour and fry the chicken until golden.
- Fry the chicken on both sides until golden.
- Drain the fried chicken on paper towels immediately after removing from the oil and then allow to cool.
Make the Mushroom Gravy:
- In saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and remaining butter (4 tablespoons). Cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in the flour, cooking and stirring to remove lumps. Add about 1/2 cup of beef stock, whisking until incorporated.
- Increase heat to High. Slowly pour in the remaining broth and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).
- When gravy starts to boil, reduce heat to low. Stirring often, simmer until thickened, about 15-20 minutes depending on your preferred thickness. Check for seasoning and salt again if needed.
- Serve on buttermilk fried chicken and add a side mashed potatoes or what ever you enjoy!