Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich with Bacon & Cheddar
This buttermilk chicken sandwich is a reader favorite! the crispy, crunchy outside is why it’s a great fried chicken.
Crispy Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Sometimes you just want to have a great fried buttermilk chicken sandwich at home so you can customize it the way you want. This is the best fried chicken sandwich recipe that will have you always wanting to make it homemade because it’s incredibly easy. Our fried chicken is soaked in buttermilk which gives it such a tender, moist texture. The best part is the seasoning recipe that’s got great flavor with tons of spices. You want it juicy, flavorful with great texture and crunch. We’re so inspired to make a homemade version after learning about the fried chicken sandwich wars.
It’s all about the texture
The outside texture of the fried chicken is super crispy and it’s so much easier than everyone thinks. The little bit of buttermilk in the dry mixture will give the flaky bits that fry up to the wonderful texture. Our video and photos will show you what the texture of the mixture should look like before frying. Just take a look to get it to match and when you fry it, you’ll see why the fried chicken has such a crazy good texture. And of course, the bacon and cheddar on top is what gives it over-the-top amazing with fabulous flavor and texture.
Video: Fried Buttermilk Chicken Sandwich Recipe:
Look at how amazing this crust is on the fried chicken! When fried, this chunky flour texture is what gives a great crunch! It’s the best Buttermilk Fried Chicken sandwich EVER!
Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich with Bacon and Cheddar
- 2 pounds (910g) chicken breasts , cut in half lengthwise
- 3/4 cup (180ml) buttermilk, for soaking
- 1 cup (125g) flour
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) paprika
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) dried thyme leaves or oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) buttermilk , for the batter
- Oil for frying
- 4-6 slices cheddar cheese
- 8-12 slices bacon , cooked
- 4-6 Burger buns
- Preferred Toppings (lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard, mayo, etc…)
- If needed, pat dry the chicken breasts. Soak chicken breasts in buttermilk for about 30 minutes in fridge.
- While chicken is soaking, combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper, thyme or oregano, garlic powder, and cayenne in a medium bowl. Add the 2 tablespoons of buttermilk and mix together, breaking up the big clumps. The flour mixture will clumpy but should still be dry-ish. The clumps will create a great texture during frying.
- Heat skillet with about 1/2 inch high of frying oil. Heat oil to 375°F.
- Remove the chicken from the buttermilk soak and dredge the chicken in the flour mixture, making sure to coat the chicken completely. Shake off excess flour and fry the chicken until golden.
- Drain the fried chicken on paper towels and just after it is removed from the oil and still hot, add a slice of cheese on top.
- Assemble the sandwich: add tomato, mayo, mustard, lettuce or what ever you want on your sandwich. Don’t forget to add the bacon slices!
Check out a Few of our Favorite Frying Tools:
It’s Fried Chicken Time! Here’s a couple tools which make frying awesome, plus a cool cookbook: