Easy Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy
When it comes to a recipe for gravy, even vegetarians can enjoy meat-free recipes. This easy mushroom gravy recipe is vegetarian and the addition of soy sauce adds a wonderful, deep and rich flavor. You can also use Worsteshire sauce to give the rich umami flavor as well. For your gluten free and vegetarian options, use the Tamari brand of gluten free soy sauce.
Add this vegetarian mushroom gravy sauce on roast potatoes, grilled tofu or roasted vegetables. Even try it on hot rice or pasta for a quick and easy dinner. For Thanksgiving, this is also the perfect vegetarian recipe for vegan or vegetarian guests. For those who love to eat meat or are having turkey for thanksgiving, this gravy is another great option for anyone who loves the flavor of mushrooms.
Easy Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy Sauce Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch
- 1 Tablespoon cold water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 pound mushrooms , sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce ( or use Tamari Soy Sauce for Gluten Free)
- fresh cracked black pepper , to taste
- kosher or sea salt , to taste
- Make the corn starch slurry: In a small bowl, add cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of water. Stir together well and break up all the clumps. Set aside.
- Heat a medium saucepan on medium-high heat. Melt butter in pan and then stir in mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until soft then slowly add vegetable stock, soy sauce and black pepper.
- Bring gravy to a gentle simmer and cook for about 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add the cornstarch mixture and stir well so that no clumps form. Cook until the gravy is thick and remove from heat. Add additional salt to taste.