Easy Bagel Recipe
This baked bagel recipe is a game changer! If you love bagels, you’re going to love this easy bagel recipe. It only takes 3 ingredients to make a batch of these super delicious yogurt-based bagels. And best off all, they’re baked in the oven without any need for poaching them. Yes, that’s right these bagels use greek yogurt as the base. If you love tang of greek yogurt, you’re going to love these. It’s amazing to bite into one and taste the wonderful flavors of yogurt in a bagel. Best of all, this bagels use non-fat yogurt and that’s an added plus to less fat bagels! There’ really no secret to these bagels. You just need to decide if you want to decide to add any optional seeds or toppings. After that, you’re ready to devour the best 3 ingredient bagels.
Video: Healthy and Easy Homemade Bagels
How to Make Healthy Baked Bagels with Non-Fat Greek Yogurt
Add greek yogurt and self rising flour to bowl. Mix until everything combines. Add to lightly floured surface. Lightly knead for about 30 seconds.
Shape dough into a ball and cut into 4 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Flour your finger and poke a hole through the dough ball. Stretch the center of the hole and create a bagel shape.
Brush with egg and if desired, add your seed toppings. More details on time and temp in the recipe box below.
Recipe Ideas for Different Variety of Bagels
There’s so many options for the top of these air fryer bagels. The bagel variety possibilities are endless. Here’s some ideas :
- Everything bagel seasonings
- Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried onion or other seeded spices
- Cinnamon Sugar or cinnamon raisin
- Sun-dried tomato
- Cheddar cheese, asiago, parmesan or other cheeses
- Sliced pickled jalapeños
SOFT DOUGH: Be prepared to work with soft dough and be patient while molding the dough to shape. If dough is too soft, add a little more flour. If too dry, add a little more yogurt. Try not to over knead the dough or else it will make the bagels tough. It is better to have it a little more rustic looking and tender bagel than a perfectly smooth and tough bagel.
FLOURS: This recipe can easily be doubled and uses self rising flour, which has baking powder and salt already. If using all-purpose flour, you must mix about 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the flour prior to mixing with the yogurt.
- 1 cup plain, thick non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 cup self rising flour , *if using all purpose flour, see note above.
- 1 large egg , beaten * read note
- (optional) bagel toppings: Sesame seeds, pre-mixed bagel seasonings, poppy seeds, cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeños.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone baking mat and lightly oil or coat with cooking spray.
- If there’s liquid on top of the yogurt drain it before you measure it out. Combine yogurt and flour until all the flour is mixed into the yogurt and dough forms a ball.
- Lightly flour a cutting board. Knead the dough for about 30 seconds. Cut the dough into 4 equal parts. If dough is sticky lightly flour your hands. Don’t add too much flour or the dough will become tough.
- Roll each dough piece into a ball. Lightly flour your finger, then poke it in the center of the dough ball to create a hole.
- Gently stretch out the center hole to be about 1” wide opening and shape the the dough into a bagel shape.
- Place bagels on prepared baking sheet far enough apart to give room for them to rise.
- Brush egg over the bagels. If adding seeds, sprinkle seeds or seasonings on top of bagels.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Rotate sheet pan halfway through cooking.
After 25-30 minutes and they are lightly browned, increase oven heat to 450°F and bake for additional 4-5 minutes or until the bagels are golden.
- Serve with cream cheese or make an awesome bagel sandwich out of it.
- We prefer the Stonyfield non-fat greek yogurt and Fage Total 0% Greek Yogurt. If you want to use whole milk yogurt, the Chobani whole milk greek yogurt is also thick and easy to work with.
- These bagels have a wonderful yogurt taste so don’t be surprise if there’s a slight sour taste to the bagels.
- The egg wash is optional and for folks who can’t eat eggs feel free to leave it out. But if you can eat eggs, they add a great chewy and crisp, brown texture to the bagels. They also help the seeds to stick to the top of the bagels.
- Read the recipe write up for all the different bagel topping ideas.
Try making these easy bagels in the Air Fryer!
BUY OUR AIR FRYER ECOOKBOOKS HERE FOR EASY MEALS AND LOW CARB RECIPES! Cook the Recipes, Eat the Delicious Recipes and Live the Life Changing Way to Cook.