When the weather is cold like it’s been lately, this chicken in mushroom sauce recipe satisfies our appetites for something hearty. For this braised chicken recipe, you can use either chicken thighs or chicken breasts. But if you’re wanting to use chicken breasts, you should have the skins on the breasts so you can sear the outside for a crust and more flavor. You can also use bone-in chicken breasts for more flavor, but you’ll probably want to de-bone it before serving.
Braised with a wonderful bouquet of fresh herbs, shallots, white wine and lots of sliced mushrooms, this creamy chicken recipe is perfect for serving over your favorite pasta or even rice. The fragrant and bright flavor of the fresh herbs combined with the white wine really heightens this dish to perfection. This cream chicken is a simple and comforting dish for every day or can be made into an elegant dish for a special dinner.
Photo Gallery for Creamy Chicken in Mushroom Wine Sauce Recipe
Cream Chicken with Mushroom White Wine Cream Sauce
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 40 min
Perfect for a warm, comfort food evening or an elegant, special dinner. We use the legs and thighs, but you can use breasts if you like as well. It will be best with skin on, bone in breasts if that is the way you want to go. The bone in will give you a juicier end result, and for best presentation, carefully de-bone the chicken just before serving (something we personally rarely do). Recipe adapted from Jacques Pepin's The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen.
- 2 Chicken Thighs & 2 Chicken Legs (@2 pounds total - bone in, skin on *see head note)
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted Butter, divided
- 8-10 sprigs Italian Parsley
- 3-4 sprigs Thyme
- 2 whole Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup White Wine
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 medium Shallots, peeled
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1 cup Cream
- 8 oz. Brown Mushrooms, sliced
- Rinse and pat dry chicken. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Melt one Tablespoon of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add chicken and brown each side of chicken, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- With kitchen string, tie together bouquet garni (parsely, thyme, and bay leaves). Add bouquet garni, wine, stock, and shallots to chicken. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cover pan. Cook for 15-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
- In a small saucepan, make a roux by melt remaining Tablespoon of butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and continue cooking and whisking until it turns slightly golden and develops a nutty aroma. Set aside.
- Remove chicken from the pan and set aside. Remove bouquet garni from the pan and discard.
- Whisk in the roux and cream into the remaining wine and chicken stock. Increase heat to medium-high and gently boil until the sauce thickens, about 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the pan and add mushrooms. Continue to simmer for another 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Optional - if serving chicken de-boned, de-bone chicken now.
- Plate chicken on serving dish or individual plates. Taste sauce for seasoning, adding more salt and pepper if necessary. Ladle mushroom cream sauce over chicken and serve.