Our cauliflower fried rice recipe was a such hit and so many of you asked for a chicken cauliflower fried rice version! Here is a new chicken version and it’s really quite simple, with the addition of chicken breast. You can certainly use chicken thigh meat for more flavor or even switch it out to shrimp. What ever you do, it’s still the tried and trusted recipe for cauliflower fried rice that’s been going viral on Facebook.
Video: Cauliflower Fried Rice with Chicken Recipe
The wonder of this recipe is that there’s no rice at all! The “rice” part is 100% cauliflower and when chopped small, the tiny bits of cauliflower resembles the “rice”. When cooked up, you don’t miss the rice too much because the texture is so much like rice! Replacing the rice for cauliflower makes this recipe super low-carb and healthier. The small cauliflower bits truly resembles the same bite and texture as rice. This easy cauliflower recipe has minced cauliflower that soaks up all the flavors just like rice, but you doesn’t have all the carbs and calories that rice has.
The secret is to make sure to keep the cauliflower with a good bite and not cook it to be mushy. Another key factor is to hand-mince it to get the perfect texture. You can use a food processor too, but make sure to not overprocess the cauliflower or else it will be mushy.
Here’s our Favorite ways to make Cauliflower Rice:
Good tools make time in the kitchen all the more enjoyable. Here’s some of the favorites:
Food Processor: This is our favorite food processor for home; linked here. It is a great balance between useable size for the average recipe and how much space is needed to store it.
Hand Cut- The secret is to make sure to keep the cauliflower with a good bite and not cook it to be mushy. Another key factor is to hand-mince it to get the perfect texture. You can use a food processor too, but make sure to not overprocess the cauliflower or else it will be mushy. And every kitchen should have a good knife.
Grate the cauliflower: You can also grate the cauliflower to get the rice texture! Whip out the box grater and go to town.
Pre-cut & bagged: You can also buy pre-cut cauliflower in bags in your frozen food section.
Before and After! Here’s the link to the food processor.
Here’s our previous and popular vegetarian cauliflower fried rice recipe.
Now that we have the written version for chicken cauliflower, you can make this healthy fried rice recipe in a snap for an awesome and quick and easy dinner. Once you taste this chicken cauliflower fried rice, you’ll be hooked!
We prefer the texture of hand minced cauliflower, but you can always mince it in a food processor or buy it pre-minced. If using a food processor, be careful not to process it too much or else the cauliflower will become mushy once cooked.
- 1 pound (455g) boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) cooking oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 cup (120ml) diced frozen or fresh carrots
- 1/2 cup (120ml) frozen peas
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) soy sauce *for gluten-free use tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 green onions , diced
- optional: kosher salt
- more optional vegetables: kale , celery, broccoli, corn, spinach
- more options: shrimp , pork and beef
- Mince cauliflower into very small crumbled pieces, resembling the size of rice or larger because the cauliflower will shrink as it cooks. You can use a food processor to get this texture, but be careful to not process the cauliflower too much or it will become mushy. We prefer to hand mince everything to get the small texture, so it still remains firm when cooked.
- Heat large skillet on medium high heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and garlic. Cook until soft and translucent.
- Add chicken and cook until brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and sauté until almost tender, making sure it is not mushy soft. Add the peas and carrots and stir until combined. If using fresh carrots, cook for about 2 minutes, otherwise proceed to the next step.
- Add the beaten egg, soy sauce, sesame oil and black pepper. Stir until the egg coats all of the cauliflower and becomes cooked.
- If needed, add additional kosher salt to taste. Add green onions and stir until everything is combined.
- Serve warm.