You’re going to love this recipe because chicken with rice and pineapple are a perfect pairing. A good fried rice recipe should great textures and textures in every bit. This chicken pineapple fried rice recipe has all those elements of crunch, savory and sweet. Fragrant chicken cooked with garlic and onions, combined with sweet juicy pineapple make this fried rice a crowd favorite. It’s hard to eat just one bowl, so be prepared to make a double batch if you have a hungry family.
When cooking fried rice recipes, it’s usually always helpful to have day old rice that’s been refrigerated. The rice is best when it’s cold, firm and easy to separate the kernals. You don’t want to have the rice too sticky, so fresh hot cooked rice will be more challenging to make a good batch of fried rice. This chicken fried rice recipe is perfect for days when you have left over rice. If you don’t have left over rice, try to make rice the day ahead of time and then refrigerate the rice.
Chicken Pineapple Fried Rice
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 15 min
- about 2 1/2 - 3 cups (loosely packed) day old cooked white rice. The rice kernels should be firm, separated and cold so that they aren't sticking together.
- 1/2 pound boneless chicken (breasts or thighs), cut into small pieces
- 2 Tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into small bite sized pieces (or canned pineapple, drained & cut in small pieces)
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon sea or kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce, but the fish sauce tastes better!)
- 1 large egg
- If using a non-stick pan, the 2 Tablespoons of oil should be enough. The rice sticks less to non-stick, thus using less oil.
- In large non-stick pan, turn on medium heat, warm the pan, then add 1 Tablespoon of oil (save other half of oil for another step). Once oil is hot, add onions and garlic. Cook till translucent.
- Add chicken, cook for about 1 minute till chicken becomes brown. Then add pineapple, celery, salt and cook for about 2-3 minutes till chicken is fully cooked. Remove from pan and add mixture in medium bowl. Set aside.
- In same heated pan, add 1 Tablespoon of oil. Allow oil to get hot then add rice. If rice sticks too much, add a little more oil or water, 1 Tablespoon at a time.
- Cook and stir rice for about 2 minutes until it becomes hot. Add fish sauce and egg. Gently break up the egg in the rice, and mix egg in rice till it combines well into rice.
- Cook rice for about 1 more minute till egg becomes cooked, then add chicken/pineapple mixture.
- Continue cooking for about 3-4 more minutes until rice, egg and chicken/pineapple mixture are fully combined and cooked.
- Serve hot.