Beware, this Asian fried chicken recipe is super crunchy, sticky, savory and addicting! It’s one of those fried chicken recipes that leaves your hands sticky with a flavorful sauce and craving for more drumsticks. Dredged in flour and fried to a crunchy exterior, these pieces of fried chicken have a wonderful flour and egg crust. After taking them out of the fryer, make sure to let the fried chicken cool because you’ll be anxious to want to take a bite too quickly. Don’t burn your tongue! The homemade chili garlic sauce is amazing!
To adapt to making this recipe gluten free, simply dredge in rice flour. You can also use crushed gluten free cereal flakes if you want, but just make sure to adjust cooking times so that the gluten free crust doesn’t burn.
The homemade Asian chili garlic sauce that is poured over the fried chicken is the star of the recipe. The sauce is flavored with crisp garlic, onions and sriracha hot sauce, or any hot sauce of your choice. If your eaters prefer not to have a spicy fried chicken, then simply use less or omit the sriracha. But if you do this, remember to add about another Tablespoon of rice vinegar or ketchup to keep the sauce for fried chicken recipe a consistent thickness.
Asian Fried Chicken Recipe with Garlic Chili Sauce
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 1 hour
Resting the chicken after dredging allows the crust to cling to the chicken a bit better. If you want a super juicy chicken, brine the chicken in salty water (ocean water saltiness) for 1-hours in the fridge before dredging.
For the Garlic Chili Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) vegetable oil
- 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large shallot, minced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) fish sauce (or soy sauce, but fish sauce tastes better!)
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons (30ml) rice vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons (45ml) ketchup
- 1-2 Tablespoons (15-30ml) Sriacha or chili hot sauce, or to taste
For the fried chicken
- 2 pounds (910g) chicken drumsticks or thighs, rinsed and patted dry
- 4-5 large eggs
- 3 cups (375g) all purpose flour (for gluten free option use rice flour)
- oil for frying the chicken
- Make the sauce: In medium sauce pan, heat and add oil. Then add garlic and shallots, cook till translucent or slightly crisp, but do not burn these aromatics. Add fish sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup and hot sauce. Stir ingredients to combine well.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer the sauce for about 3 minutes. Then remove sauce from heat. If you don't want a thick sauce, add water, one tablespoon at a time to your desired consistency
- For the fried chicken: In large bowl, beat eggs. In another large bowl add the flour.
- Dredge the chicken: first in flour, shake off excess flour. Then dredge in egg, then another coat of flour. Shake off excess flour. Set coated chicken pieces aside on a wire rack for about 15 minutes.
- In large pot or frying pan, fill oil to about 1 inch high, but do not let oil overflow when chicken is placed in. Heat oil to about 350 degrees.
- Frying chicken in batches to not overcrowd the pan, carefully place chicken into hot oil and fry on both sides till crispy and cooked, ten to fifteen minutes on each side. Do not cook on too high of heat because the chicken will finish cooking on the outside and not be cooked completely inside.
- Add garlic chili sauce to large bowl and toss with fried chicken to coat well.
- Serve hot.