Just hearing the term chicken noodle soup brings feeling of comfort and soulful. Even when we’re not feeling under the weather, the sound of chicken noodle soup just sounds satisfying. It’s possibly one of the easiest soups to make and to if you have homemade chicken stock on hand, it couldn’t be more hearty and homemade. And if you are feeling a little sick, a big bowl of this soup is probably a better cure than any over the counter medication.
Often times many classic chicken noodle soups use egg noodles. Though we appreciate egg noodles often, we love changing up our chicken soup recipes with different types of pastas and noodles. Fusilli, penne, farfalle and even macaroni add a wonderfully different texture and bite to your regular chicken noodle soups. So feel free to use up any leftover pasta that you may have and certainly add more vegetables to your liking!
Here’s a Video for How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 20 min
The key to a great chicken noodle soup is a great broth and it doesn't get much better than a homemade broth. If you've never made your own chicken stock, here's quick tutorial to get you started: Easy Chicken Stock. For the chicken noodle soup, if you want to use raw chicken instead of cooked chicken, just add the cut up raw chicken at the beginning when you start cooking the garlic and onions. Cooking time to determine the vegetable tenderness will vary on how you like your vegetables. For an "al dente" bite about 10 minutes is usually more than enough, however for a very tender veggie, you might want to cook it up to 30 minutes at that step.
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely minced or crushed
- 1/2 medium Onion, sliced
- 2 medium (@1/4 lb or 113g) Carrots, peeled & cut into a large dice
- 2 stalks (@1/4 lb or 113g) Celery, cut into 3/8" slices
- 4 cups (950ml) Homemade Chicken Broth
- 1/2 pound (225g) Cooked Chicken, torn into pieces
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt, to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 - 1/2 pound (113-225g) Pasta, cooked to package instructions
- optional ~ fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for garnish
- optional ~ chili flakes, for garnish
- optional ~ chopped Italian Parsley, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until slightly soft, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook until the vegetables begin to sweat, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in broth and increase heat to high. Bring broth to a simmer, then lower heat to medium and maintain a gentle simmer.
- Simmer soup until the vegetables are almost at your preferred tenderness *see head note.
- Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Continue continue cooking for a minute or two more, or until chicken is heated through.
- When ready to serve, put cooked pasta in serving bowls. Ladle chicken soup over the noodles, making sure to include pieces of chicken and vegetables. Garnish desired topping.