Stove Top Chicken Soup Recipe
We had a little dilemma in what to call this chicken vegetable soup, so we’ll leave it up to you to decide what you want to ultimately call it. Decisions, decisions! This chicken soup recipe can be called a number of different ways: a vegetable soup with chicken, garden vegetable soup, country chicken soup, healthy chicken soup, or chicken soup with vegetables to warm the soul. Either way, it’s loaded with fresh vegetables, homemade chicken stock and left over chicken. You can call it what you want because it’s perfectly satisfying on a cold day and fulfilling on days when you need some warm comfort.
It’s also a wonderfully healthy stove top chicken soup that’s studded with broccoli, zucchini, carrots and celery. Made from our fresh homemade chicken stock, we were able to skim off the excess fat in the stock and use healthy boneless chicken breast. A combination of all these ingredients is worthy of being called a healthy chicken soup. What ever you decide to call it, it’s truly satisfying and comforting. And best of all, super easy to make on days when you have lots of leftover vegetables and chicken in the fridge. Better yet, how about calling it the “Everything but the kitchen sink” stove top chicken soup?! 🙂 Enjoy!
Here’s a Video for How to Make Homemade Chicken Stock
Fresh and Healthy Chicken Soup
Basic Chicken Vegetable Soup
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil (15ml)
- 3 cloves Garlic , finely minced or crushed
- 1/2 Onion , cut into large dice
- 2 (@1/4 lb-113g) Carrots , peeled & cut into a large dice
- 2 stalks Celery , cut into 3/8" slices
- 1/2 head (1/5 lb-90g) Broccoli , cut into small florets
- 1 (@1/4 lb-113g) Zucchini , cut into large dice
- 1/2 pound (225g) Cooked Chicken, cut into large dice
- 4 cups (950ml) Homemade Chicken Broth
- Kosher Salt , to taste
- fresh cracked Black Pepper , to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until slightly soft, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.Add remaining vegetables and cook until the vegetables begin to sweat, 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in broth and increase heat to high. Bring up to a simmer, then lower heat to medium and maintain a gentle simmer.Simmer soup until vegetables are almost at your preferred tenderness *see head note.
- Add chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Continue continue cooking for a minute or two more, or until chicken is heated through.