Smoky BBQ Chicken Meatballs
These juicy bbq chicken meatballs recipe is a reader favorite! They’re the easiest recipe for chicken meatballs you’ll ever cook. And love. Enjoyed as an appetizer or main meal, this chicken meatballs recipe is always a dinner party favorite.
Easy BBQ Chicken Meatballs Recipe
Made with ground chicken breast (to make it healthy) or ground thigh chicken, this meatball recipe is spiced with smoked paprika and chili powder for that extra punch of flavor. Adding your favorite bbq sauce and simmering the meatballs in the sauce is what makes them extra juicy and flavorful. Simply serve these chicken meatballs with tooth pics as an easily served appetizer or add them to a sandwich for a great chicken meatball sandwich.
Video: Best BBQ Chicken Meatballs:
Tips on Cooking and Serving Meatballs
- Serve the meatballs in a sandwich, hoagie roll or pita bread.
- Though the bbq sauce can be rather rich, you can serve the meatballs on top of pasta as well. Brown rice or quinoa is great for a chicken meatball bowl dinner.
- Low Carb: Serve it on a salad. Just make sure to add some extra green veggies like broccoli and cauliflower to make it healthier!
- This is a very versatile recipe! If you don’t want to use ground chicken there’s plenty of other options. Ground turkey, lamb, pork and beef are great alternatives and the flavor is still fantastic!
Can you Freeze these meatballs?
These meatballs are perfect for freezing. If you love sauce, make extra sauce to freeze with the meatballs. It’s great for a quick and easy weeknight dinner.
Smoky BBQ Chicken Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound (455g) ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (120ml) dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) chili powder or chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (3ml) salt, or to taste
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 cup (240ml) bbq sauce
- 1/2 small onion , minced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- Make the chicken meatballs: In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix together well so that all ingredients are combined.
- If needed, coat your clean hands with water or oil so meatballs don't stick to your hands. Roll about 1-2 Tablespoons of meatball mixture into a ball. Repeat for all of the meatball mixture. Chill the balls for about 15 minutes in fridge if you need to make them more firm.
- In large pan over medium-high heat add oil. Add meatballs and brown them on all sides, about 5 minutes total. Remove meatballs and set aside.
- In same pan, add minced onion and cook until translucent. Add meatballs back into the pan then add bbq sauce. If sauce is too thick, add about 1/2 cup of water or until it becomes the consistency that you like.
- After sauce begins to simmer, lower heat, cover pan and gently simmer meatballs in bbq sauce for 15-20 minutes, or until meatballs are completely cooked.
- Serve warm as appetizers or in a sandwich.
Click Here for more—> Awesome Chicken Recipes
Here’s more—> Delicious Grilling & BBQ Recipes
More Chicken Recipes and Chicken Appetizer Recipes.Epicurous Baked Chicken Meatballs and Chipotle Chicken Meatballs Recipe. This recipe was originally published in 2013 and re-published in 2019 with updated video.